CHAPTER 79 - The Mind Is The Worst Prison

CHAPTER WILL BE EDITED AND POSSIBLY RE-WRITTEN AT A LATER TIME.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It's been awhile, I know, I know... but guess what .... Here is another chapter! Enjoy!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The coma carried me into a world where time and space seemed to vanish; it was a dreamlike existence in which people, places, and situations shifted as quickly as thoughts. I had a profound sense of being at a crossroads, a turning point, somewhere between death and life..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Daniel's POV will be in all italics because all this is happening in his mind, his subconscious. Separate from what's actually going on in "the real world". It's all going to be a jumble of memories, thoughts, dreams, and wishes (A bit of supernatural as well). Basically, anything and everything that could cross his mind as he swims through the "in between". "In Between", the waiting room that separates the dead and the living. I hope you enjoy it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Daniel's POV

Growling.

Pain.

Howls.

"No!...No! Let me see him! Let me see him! I have to see him!" Lilly. It was Lilly. She was screaming but I didn't know why. I recognized her voice but I couldn't see her and I couldn't pin point her location either. Where was I? The last thing I remembered was Ashley's face, and her eyes. Her haunting molten honey eyes. I remembered the pain and agony of being impaled by the woman I loved but nothing else. A fight. I recognized the sounds as I heard a body hit a wall.

Heat.

Fire.

Lilly.

What was happening? Did she need me?

Had I failed? "Honor. Daniel, honor is worth defending but beware. Honor is easily confused with pride a feeling as poisonous as the first bite from the apple." My parents were big defenders of tradition, of the pack, of duty and honor. They had instilled those same believes in me. "But dad, Is honor worth dying for?" I remember asking him, "Son, we do not die for honor. We do not die for glory. We fight to protect and defend our pack, our family because our loyalties are to them. It is the Alpha's we swore to protect, our leaders, a pack without a head, without a leader would soon perish. Our loyalties are to our people, never forget that."

I never forgot. They had instilled there believes and there loyalties in me and I lived by them, still. Not because they were my parents but because I believed they were right. We fought not for honor or glory we fought for our people, to protect the pack, to protect our Alpha. A giggle. "Danny, come here baby. Come here." My mom she was calling to me. "That's is sweetheart. Come over here." I was three again with my mom in our old backyard back in France.

I began walking towards her but somehow my legs wouldn't cooperate with me. I looked down to see that my legs were being entangled by bright green weeds that seemed to be pulling me down to the earth. I fell and began scratching at the earth trying to pull away from the murdeous weed that didn't seem to want to let go. "Mommy! Mommy!" I cried out scared, pleading for her to come help me. "Silly goose." She whispered as she picked my small frame up from bed and into her arms.

"All that tossing and turning got you tangled up in your blanky again." She told me, rocking me in her arms, my eyes closed with my head pressed up against her bosom. A freezing cold wind made me shiver and I opened my eyes. She was gone. I was alone on the floor, curled up into a ball hiding in a dark shadowy corner. Salty tears stained my face but there was no sobbing, no crying, and nobody to comfort me. Not now. Not here. Not anymore. I felt the emptiness again, the hopelessness of the situation, the loneliness and for a moment I wanted to be with them.