Part 23

Seven Months Later

Aaron Hotchner's POV

I'm filling some papers when Rossi knocks at my door.

"Come in!"

"Hotch, you know, I thought about it. This job, it's my life. I can't leave my friends for a job that I don't want!"

"So?"

"I refuse to be mutated to the Pentagon. Maybe I have the skills, but I don't want this job."

"Dave, are you sure that you're doing the best choice? You will have an office's schedule with your weekends and a lot of social advantages! You can't miss that!"

"Yes, I can, because I won't leave my friends. I experienced so much with you all during the last eight years!"

"If it's your choice, I'll contact the Pentagon."

I take the phone and, at the same time, Penelope knocks at my door.

"Come in!"

"Sir, we have a new case."

"Okay, I'm coming."

I let my things on my desk.

"We'll talk about that later," I say to Dave.

He makes me sign that it's okay, and we leave the office going to the briefing room.

I sit, and Penelope gives me the file.

"Three men were stabbed in Orange County. They..."

I see someone in the doorframe.

"Oh my God, JJ!" Penelope says. "You are back."

"Yeah. I'm finally ready to take back my job."

Penelope hugs her.

"You're ready for a new case?" I ask.

"Yes, I am. It's why I came. No?"

She sits beside Spencer.

"JJ, I would like to put something straight. I don't want that your relationship hinders our job, understood?"

"Understood."

Penelope gives her a file, and she starts again.

"Three men were stabbed in Orange County. They were found at their house. Here's Sean Jackson, 31, married since 5 years to Elizabeth Jackson née Gibson, they have no child. Here's Michael Murphy, 45, married since 16 years to Lauren Murphy née McCallum, they have no child. And here's Simon Allan, 27, married since 3 months to Leslie Allan née Anderson, they were expecting their first child. Their wives weren't at home when the murder took place. Elizabeth was at the grocery store; Lauren was visiting her dying mother at the hospital and Leslie was at her friend's home."

"Penelope, can you zoom on the face of the victims?"

"Sure."

"The Star of David? What can it mean?" JJ asks.

"This is not the Star of David, these are two triangles. This figure means "three" in the Pythagorean connotations. In Freemason, this is the "Delta Light" or "The Sublime Triangle", the right triangles mean the water, the equilateral triangles mean the earth, the scalene triangles mean the air and the isosceles triangles mean the fire. In alchemy, the triangle is the symbol of the three principles of the great work: sulfur; mercury and salt or arsenic. In palmistry, it is in the hand and means the skill. It's the French republic symbol "liberty - equality - fraternity", but it's also the symbol of the Trinity in the Christianity," Reid says

"Okay. Wheels up in thirty."