Robert the Hamster- FinchxHenryxButtons

This was actually going to be very sad, but than I realized it doesn't really have to be, so...we'll save that for #28

——————————————————————

Buttons walked into his home, his backpack tight on his shoulders, but a new song in his head. He always loved coming home from school.

For one thing, Henry and Finch wouldn't be there for another hour and a half. Buttons usually used this time to knit, sew, or crochet, but today, he felt like doing none of those things.

He opened the front door quickly, wondering why he suddenly felt off. He was usually right about these things. When something goes wrong or someone is off, Buttons will know about it. But he didn't want to know about this one.

He stood in the doorway, his eyes filling with tears. "Robert."

——————

Finch held Buttons closely as Henry dug into the ground, creating a small hole. He wiped off his forehead as turned to his partners, one of them dressed in formal wear. "Okay. I'm finished."

Buttons breathed in, trying to control his tears as he lower the show box into the ground. He stood back up, wiping his eyes as he looked at the painted shoebox.

"Robert", he starts, taking another deep breath, "was a real one. When Finch and Henry were at work, Robert was the one I confided in. We never did find out if they were a boy or girl, and I'm glad we didn't."

Finch looked at the sky, new tears filling his eyes. "I'm gonna miss you, Bobby. I hope they give you lots of water in Hamster Heaven, because that's the only thing I knew how to set up in your hamster tank."

He left the sight and walked back over to his partners, making Finch walk over. They walked up to the grave awkwardly, fiddling with their thumbs.

"I'm gonna miss you, Robby", they declare, sighing. "I know we didn't spend much time together, but I will always cherish the amount we did have. I hope you live out your ghost life as the gnarliest hamster to be."

They patted their chest with a closed fist twice, moving it up into a peace sign. They walked back over to their boyfriends, staring at the ground.

Buttons looked to Henry, who stood quietly as they did this. He thought it was extreme. He'd never had a pet before, and never found himself becoming attached to any kind of animal. Henry saw it as a natural occurs that happens everyday, and thought the entire funeral thing was weird.

But Buttons didn't need to know that right now, and he had to do this for Buttons.

Henry walked up to the home he dug with a sigh, crouching to the ground. He looked at the box and looked up. "I'm sorry you died, little buddy. I didn't know you much, especially since you were bought without any reconciliation between me and Finch, but you were chill. Buttons made you cool hats."

Buttons sobbed, Finch patting on the back. Henry stood up, dusting off his jeans. He looked to the ground, the black box still there.

"Fly high, lit- uh, crawl fast, Robert."

Finch and Buttons walked over to him tearfully, picking up shovels and removing piles of dirt, putting it back where it belonged. It was a quiet process, which Buttons appreciated.

When it was done, Buttons put a tiny bedazzled headstone at the end of the grave, sniffling. "I'll miss you, buddy."

Henry and Finch patted his back as they walked back inside.