Always Prepared- The Newsies

Edit: The only reason this is still here is because it give me a chance to see my growth as a writer. I hope you enjoy!

—————————————————————

   Manhattan's very Newsies from The World High School boarded the big yellow school bus, fitting half the group in the front and the other half in the back, three to a seat. It was quite uncomfortable, especially for Davey and his giant black backpack.

"Hey, Davey", Jack asked. "What's in that bag ya always carry 'round?" He noticed his boyfriend never left his house without the bag, and double checked its contents when the group had sleepovers. "You seem to love that thing more than me."

Race piped up. "Yeah, Dave. You never leave without it! What's in it? Something", he smirked,  "kinky?"

The boys around them chuckled when Davey flushed at the tease. Spot hit Race playfully, chuckling himself.

"Actually", Davey started. "It's something for all of you."

"Aw, Dave", Romeo said with fake sympathy. "I didn't know you felt that way about us."

More laughter erupted and Davey rolled his eyes. His friends were really dumb sometimes but he loved them, nonetheless. "I mean things that help you get through the day. Like, candy for Race when he can't smoke inside of buildings."

Race rose to attention at the mention of his name. "That's why you have candy all the time", he mumbled.

"Or an extra eyepatch for Blink." Blink looked away from Mush, now paying attention to the conversation. There was an incident with the Delancey brothers, causing Blink to lose his patch. Davey, being the mother he is, took note of this and bought new one.

"I even have an extra book for Crutchie, since he's not allowed on certain rides when we go to amusement parks."

Crutchie was often found disappointed since he wasn't allowed to go on the rides at Six Flags. Davey made sure to bring his favorite books for Crutchie to borrow whenever this happened. He always replaced it a week later. "There's even...things for Katherine when she goes with us on trips."

Katherine gave a thumbs up his direction, not looking up from her phone. Davey smiled.

"Well, what about me, Dave?" Davey turned his attention to Jack, who was smiling in amusement. He loved that his boyfriend thought of his friends this way, despite just recently joining their little family. "What have you got for me in there?"

Davey looked in the bag to find an extra hat in the back pocket. There was an incident last year on a boat ride when Jack lost his hat in the water. Jack jumped off the boat to try and find his signature cap, but to no avail. He was super saddened and "felt naked without it on." That's when Davey found out he loved him and his weirdness.

Most of the bag was filled with things for Jack, like a sketchbook and pencils, paint and canvases, ketchup. It caused Davey to smile.

He also had hot sauce and band-aids.

"I have everything I need for you", Davey responded and found Jack frowning and trying to see the inside. They continued to sit next each other until they arrived at Chuck E. Cheese, with the provided suggestion from Race and Crutchie, who gave it to the school principal. As they got off the bus, Jack mumbled under his breath and smiled, admiring his boyfriend.

"Davey is such a mom."