JoMike

JoJo stared at Mike's face, squinting and trying to find one imperfection. To him, it was almost impossible.

Mike was on his phone, scrolling through TikToks and trying his hardest not to cringe. Most of his friends For You Pages were filled with humor or good advice- and occasionally the very weird, dark side that gave you nightmares, but so far, only Race had to worry about that- but Mike's page? He continuously got dance fails and kids trying to achieve a trend.

But, no matter how much he wanted to, he couldn't look away.

JoJo kept staring, deciding on the fact that Mike was simply perfect. He raised his hand up, moving it into a position where his pointer finger was pointing out. No longer resisting the urge, he poked Mike's face softly, eyes widening in amazement.

Mike raised a brow and turned to his best friend, curious. "Why'd you do that?"

"You're face is so soft", JoJo whispers, placing a hand on Mike's cheek. "Did you know that?"

Mike blushed, looking away. "N-no one's really brought it up."

JoJo removed his hand, placing it out in front of him. "Then I promise to remind you of that everyday."

Mike internally panics, knowing the exact outcome of that. "You don't need to do that."

"I want to."

Mike sighs, knowing it was inevitable. When JoJo had his mind made up, it was hard to change it. He was very determined and stubborn, both a blessing and a curse- a blessing for him, and a curse for everyone else.

"Fine."

JoJo beams, getting up from the couch and running off to his room, probably to do something else.

And Mike smiled, glad that Jo was happy.

—————

Mike walked down the stairs, unaffected by the weight on his back. He'd gotten used to it, after carrying it for so many years.

He walked down the stairs of the lodging house, trying not to lean into the fingers in his hair. It felt nice though, and he wanted nothing more than to relish in the comfort it gave him.

But the weight in his back had somewhere to be today.

He walked past the foyer and into the common room of the lodging house, seeing the rest of the newsies joking around. He smiled at his friends, standing at the back of the room. "Hey, fellas."

"Hey, Mike", Blink and Mush greeted, everyone else waving. They all ignored the weight on his back, seeing as he was there almost everyday.

Well, everyone did but Newby.

"Hey, Mike", Newby says, furrowing his brows. "Why is JoJo on your back?"

JoJo giggled as Mike rolled his eyes, a fond smile on his face. "Mike lost a bet, so now he has to carry me everywhere.

Newby nodded, going back to his game with Boots and Snipeshooter. They were playing The Checkered Game of Life, a classic game they heard about and found on the street one day, just sitting in a box.

JoJo tapped Mike's shoulder, causing the older to look up. "Yes, Sir JoJo?"

Said boy giggled, shaking his head. "I was just gonna ask if you wanted to get ice cream."

"The Druggist?"

"Where else?"

They laughed, both planning their small date and waving good bye to their friends as the they left the house.