May I Have This Dance?- SnipeshooterxNewby

Snipe hated going to these classes.

To him they were dumb. Very dumb. Why does he need to know how to use a fork? And why are there so many? You only need one.

But it was tolerable. His teacher was a very strict and direct woman- which he respected her for- but she was so mean. And the last thing he wanted was to be on her bad side.

So when she said they would practice ballroom dancing, the last thing he did was externally object.

"I'm aware that there is an odd number of members here", his instructor, Ms. Tammer, says, looking around the room. "Whomever does not have a partner does not have a partner, will be selected to dance with me."

Snipe felt bad for the guy that had to endure that. At least with a different partner you could mess up and move on. Ms. Tammer had a tendency to soak in other peoples failures. He wasn't going to go through that.

At least he thought so.

Now, he's standing in his formal clothes with the lonely guy- a really nice looking lonely guy- watching his classmates dance.

Ms. Tammer had basically tossed them to the side, claiming she would dance with them each after instructing. Snipeshooter saw it as a waste of time, and he could tell the lonely guy did too.

"This is so stupid", he muttered, swinging back and forth on his feet.

"I agree." Snipe turns to the lonely guy, who had his hand out. "I'm Max, but I've apparently been dubbed "Newby."

Snipe chuckled as he shook hands with him, knowing exactly what he's talking about. Newby was, well, new to the class, and no one had enough courage to ask his name. Therefore, Newby.

"Matt", Snipe introduces, smiling. "But my friends call me Snipe."

"Well, Snipe", Newby says, watching as Snipeshooter smiled. "I guess we're alone together."

"Uh, yeah", he agrees, a small blush covering his face. "Together."

Newby smirked when Snipe blushed, telling he was nervous. He'd had a small crush on the boy for a while- one week since he'd got here- and had been meaning to talk to him. No day than today.

"So", Snipe starts, staring at their classmates, "what's your favorite part of this thing?"

"I liked the eating portion", Newby responds honestly, crossing his arms. "Thought cutting a french fry was dumb, though."

Snipe laughed quietly, trying not to direct the attention of the teacher. Newby beamed. "But the dancing part is my favorite."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Ballroom dancing is pretty cool."

Snipe rolled his eyes. "Come back to me when you've actually done it. It looks...complicated."

They watched as their classmates danced with their partners- boy girl, boy girl- stepping on each other's feet, promising quiet apologies. "See?"

This was his chance. He could get a dance with Snipe, and follow the assignment. Would it anger Ms. Tammer? Maybe, but the risk is worth it.

Newby turned to Snipe and offered his hand, a nervous grin on his lip. "May I have this dance?"

Snipeshooter stared at his hand. What?! He was getting asked to dance. Matthew "Snipeshooter" Schoenfeld is getting asked to dance, which is the equivalent of getting asked on a date!

I can't wait to tell Race about this. "Sure, yeah."

Newby smiled and grabbed his hand, placing his right hand on the small of his back. He held Snipe's left hand in his own, and he could feel himself becoming nervous. "Sorry."

"It's okay", Snipe assured quietly, placing one hand on Newby's shoulder. "I guess you're leading."

Then they glided. It took a minute to get the steps down, and for Snipe to stop stepping on Newby's toes, but they had it, almost like they'd down before.

They were like two birds you couldn't help but watch outside of the window as they flew through the sky, the two quietest birds that made the most noise- and Snipeshooter made a lot of noise.

Everyone stopped what they were doing as they danced, watching them take over the "ballroom" floor. It was so beautiful, Ms. Tammer smiled for once in the entirety of four weeks.

The music stopped. Snipe and Newby were broken out of their trance, looking up to see all eyes on them. Ms. Tammer walked up to them, making them both freeze in fear.

She stopped in front of them, her hands in front of her professionally. "While I don't appreciate you going without my say", she smiled softly, "that was beautiful."

Snipe and Newby smiled at each other, looking away quickly when their faces turned red. By now, class was over, and the two of them were left standing in front of each other, debating their brain and their heart.

"Hey", Snipe started, grabbing the attention of the taller. "Could I get your number? Maybe we could dance like that again."

Newby chuckled, grabbing his phone. "I'd be happy to have you as my dance partner."

Snipe smiled and took his phone, adding ten digits into his phone. "I'll text you", he says, handing it back with a smile. Newby watched as he walked away with a wink.

He smiled as his crush walked away, glancing at his phone in excitement.

————————————————————————

A less known ship I have, but one of my favorites. I should write about them more