Reliving- Javid

Jack sat on the bed as he watched Crutchie pack all of his things into two bags. After 5 years, they were finally going back. They were going back to New York.

"Crutchie, you sure 'bout this?" Jack looked up from his hands and faced his brother, bracing himself for an answer he probably didn't want. "We's hasn't seen the boys in five years. They's all probably hate me now."

Crutchie looked at his brother and smiled. Jack was nervous. It wasn't often he got nervous, and even less he showed it, but when he did, there was an unsettling feeling of comfort that lay on Crutchie's shoulders.

"I's sure they don't hate you", Crutchie comforted, closing his now packed bags and grabbing his crutch. "And I's sure they's gonna be very happy to see ya."

Jack looked away and focused on his lap, smiling at all of the memories he had from his time as a teenager. He had a great, big family. Even though they weren't blood, they were brothers. But when he was offered a chance at Santa Fe, he pounced on the opportunity, and took Crutchie with him. He left once, so he did it again.

But after five long years of work and denial, the 22 and 23 year old were convinced in going back, Crutchie more so. He'd been keeping in touch with Davey, who was now Kloppman's assistant. It made Crutchie happy to get letters from Davey, especially when they used "Newsie code" to write.

"I don't know", Jack sighed. He picked at his fingernails, trying to avoid conversation. "What if when we's get there, they soak me or somethin'?"

Crutchie laughed. "I's knows that's not what you's afraid of."

Jack chuckled and shakes his head at his brother's knowledge. "Sure. But what would Davey think? Or Kath?"

Crutchie walked to the other side of the room and grabbed Jack's bags. "Youse know Katherine got married last year."

"Yeah." Jack remembered. He just didn't want to seem suspicious.

"Is that what this is about?" Crutchie sat down and looked at his brother knowingly.

"What?" Jack acted clueless again; a strategy.

"Well, I know", Crutchie stated, tapping his neck, causing Jack to place a hand on the side of his neck and touch the red fabric. "But does he?"

"O-of course, not. Things will never change, and things will never get better for people like me", Jack seethed, regretting his actions when he saw Crutchie's sad, but surprised face. Jack sighed and looked away again. "I'm sorry. But as far as I know, he's on the list that's ain't gonna accept me, and I's don't want to go back just to be disappointed."

Crutchie smiled and put a hand on his brother's shoulder. "Then at least go to see the fellas. Please?"

Jack looked his friend- his best friend-his brother- in the eyes and sighed defeatedly.

"Ok."

————————

The two of them stood at the entrance of their old home, Jack glancing at the crippled boy nervously. He thought back to the conversation they had before they left for the station:

"Jack, I swear: I'se got it", Crutchie promised as they grabbed their suitcases.

"I really think I'se should be carryin' that for ya", Jack insisted. He held his already heavy bags at his sides. "I just don't want you gettin' hurt."

Crutchie rolled his eyes. He grabbed his bags and began his journey to the exit of their house. "If ya ask me one more time, I will literally tell Davey about your crush before you's even get a step to the door."