Hide & Run- Davey x Oscar

"One, two, three, four", Jack counted, standing on a chair. "Five, six, seven, eight..."

When he realized there were only 17 participants, he looked to Davey who shrugged his shoulders.

"Sorry, boys", Jack sighed. "Looks like we'll have to find random people on the street to play if we're gonna continue."

Everyone groaned and sat in a circle, resembling a cult. Race looked around and pointed pulled a bottle from his coat and placed it on the floor. "You boys know how this works. Two spins. Two people. Two participants."

Race spun the bottle, only for it to land on nothing, which caused him to have to spin again. Five times.

Eventually, Jack got fed up and volunteered himself. "The next person is going with me. Don't worry, we'll be ridin' in style."

The boys chuckled and watched the bottle, waiting for it to stop spinning. They waited and let their eyes follow the bottle intently until it stopped spinning and landed on Specs.

"Well, I'll be damned", Specs sighed and removed himself from the floor, following Jack to and out the door.

They walked through the parking lot of Medda's theater, passing cars and more cars until they were on the pavement. Specs was confused.

"Wait, Jack", Specs stated. "I thought we were ridin' in style?"

"Do I look like I own a car, much less pay a car note?"

"I mean....I guess not."

Jack chuckled. "Hey, watch your tongue, glasses. It's a personal choice. Much better for the environment."

"Didn't know you were so green, Kelly", Specs laughed and the two continued their conversation. It was sort of difficult looking for potential victims, despite how crowded the streets usually were. But today it seemed like everyone was gone.

That is until two people turned a corner and headed towards their direction. Specs patted Jack and accidentally slapped his face, which earned a pained groaned from the other.

"Look", Specs pointed, "there's people heading toward us. Let's go!"

Jack and Specs ran toward the mysterious set of people who turned out not to be so mysterious. When Specs and Jack were in front of the two guys, Jack turned around immediately.

"Nope", Jack shook his head. "Not doin' this today."

Specs- thank God he was there- held him back and smiled at the Delancey Brothers, a duo of tormentors that pick on anyone in their way, especially the Newsies.

"Well, if it isn't Four-Eyes and Cowboy", Oscar chuckled. Morris stayed practically glued to his phone. "What do you want?"

"Nothing from you, that's for sure", Jack sneered. After what happened in high school- after what happened to Crutchie- Jack hasn't appreciated the presence of the Delancey's, not to say he did in the first place. "Let's move it, Specs."

Specs sighed and shook his head. "C'mon, Jack. When have I ever known you to run away from a foe? You're not scared of the Delanceys....right?"

"I ain't scared of no Delancey!" Jack sighed and rubbed a hand down his face. He stood, his mind pacing as he thought over everything.

"He's okay, right?" Oscar looked the thinking boy up and down.

"Oh, yeah", Specs nodded. "He's just thinking."

"Clearly", Morris stated. "I can see the smoke comin' out his ears."

Jack broke out of his trance and sighed again- ya having trouble breathing? Jeez- and looked at the brothers. "Fine. They can play with us. But under one condition."