Chapter 1 || Hunting

??? POV*

The last thing I remember is being with my family. Laughing about recent events. About old stories while sitting comfortably in front of the fireplace

Now all I heard was the loud footsteps of the ones following him. I ran as fast as I could, making sure to stay out of sight.

I tried to be as quiet as possible. But now and then I'd hit a branch and my cover was blown.

I saw the faces of my father and mother flash in front of me.

I ran through another bush. But instead of jumping over it, I wasn't as lucky as last time. I jumped but got stuck on a root and was sent flying through the air.

I thought back on my brother and sister.

I hit the ground and tumbled further down the hill. I reached the end and hit my back hard against a tree standing in my way. I let out a pained breath as the air was punched out of my lungs by the force. I lay there quietly as the light of the torch approached the top of the hill.

I pulled together the last strength I had to hide behind a tree. The lights stopped at the edge of the hill. I held my breath as the angry voices grew louder.

- - - -

Isaac POV*

"Isaac wake up--" the sound of my friend, Ava, sounded through the door of my bedroom. I sighed loud enough for her to hear as the door opened.

"What do you want" I groaned as I turned around in my bed. "I want you to wake up"

I lifted my head from underneath the blanket and was met with the unimpressed face of my best friend, "no I don't want to" I complained, hiding back under my sheets."

"But this is important," she said as she forced the cover off of my bed. I let out another loud groan as I forced myself up. "Alright fine" I sighed. "What is it?"

--

"So what are we doing here anyway?" I asked as I walk after her through the forest. She stood still for a bit before turning right and pushing aside a bush, so she could go through. "We're hunting a werewolf.." She said seriously.

I stopped. "What?" I asked confused. "You know those don't exist right?" She turned around. "Said the vampire" she laughed before walking further.

"Half-vampire" I corrected her. She continued to walk around. Pretending she was deep in thought, trying to hunt her so-called werewolf.

"And what does that have to do with anything?" I continued. She broke character, "Come on, Isaac. You know vampires exist. And your dad is a witch.. so why is a werewolf so hard to believe." She complained.

"Because there's no proof. No one has seen one in years.." I said. "So what? That doesn't mean that there are none.." She continued as she walked faster.

"Why do you think it's in the forest anyway?" I said, not wanting to argue. "Well I overheard some people in the village, saying that years ago a wolf was chased into the woods, but they never found it, so I wanted to see if this was true," she said as we reached an opening in the dense forest.

"We're here, based on some old man's story?" I asked a si stopped behind her. "Yeah?" She shrugged. "You realize it's probably not to-"

Before I could finish my sentence we heard a noise from behind, I turned around quickly as she ran past me towards the sound. "Oh my god, I told you-" she whispered as she pulled out a sword and started running. "Wha- where did you get that-" asked surprised. "Wait for me!" I yelled a si ran after her.

But once I had gone through the bushes I had lost her. "Great" I sighed. I heard another noise, making me jump. I looked around. But I couldn't see anything. I started walking around, looking around for Something, but there was nothing.

Suddenly another sound came from a different direction, I jumped and tripped over something, panicked I reached for the nearest stick and held it up for protection. "Yeah, this will help," I said to myself.

One more noise came, and out of reaction, ai threw the stick towards it, crawling backward, when suddenly heard a voice.

"Ouch, what the...". I stopped and turned around. Suddenly a figure emerged from the trees and stood there, one hand rubbing the back of his head while the other was holding the same stick I just threw at him.

I got up quickly and ran over to him. "Oh jeez, I'm so sorry I thought you were... well I'm not sure." I apologized. He let out a laugh as he threw away the stick. "Don't worry, it's fine" he smiled.

I smiled back awkwardly, kind of intimidated as he was quite a bit taller than me. He was wearing a cloak, with the hood pulled over his head. He had a bag over his shoulder, which looked pretty full. I was about to speak again when Ava came back.

"I heard screaming, did you see it?" She said hastily as she caught her breath. "No...- wait screaming?" I said confused. "Yeah, I thought you were dying or something." What I wasn't screaming... was I?" I asked as I looked at the stranger". He shrugged. "Yeah a little bit." He smiled.

"Wait, who is that?" Ava said confused when she noticed I wasn't alone. "He's the one that made the noise," I said, feeling a bit embarrassed. He waved at her and introduced himself. "My name is Lukas" he smiled.

"Ava..." she said as she put away her sword. "So.. Lukas.. " she started. What are you doing here, alone in the woods." She questioned him, walking around him.

"Well uh, just getting some supplies." He shrugged. Ava stopped and turned towards me. "You sure you're not after the werewolf?" She said to him, not looking at him.

He looked at her confused. "Wha- werewolf- what are you talking about?" He stuttered. "You know what I mean." She said.

"I have no idea what you are talking about." He said nervously. "Werewolves? You know there's no such thing... right?" He said back.

"See I tolĺd you-" I tried to say but Ava cut me off. "Yeah, sure..." She said as she turned around. "Just know I was here first, the reward is mine," she said as she took some steps toward Shim.

"Wait what reward?" I asked. She stopped and turned around carefully. "U didn't tell you?" She said innocently. I looked at her suspiciously, shaking my head slowly.

"Heh... well" she scratched the back of her head. "I was going to split it with you, I swear." She laughed. I sighed "Yeah sure." I laughed.

she shrugged innocently and smiled. I turned back to Lukas. "What about you? Why are you in the forest alone?" I asked curiously.

"I- I'm just... taking a walk," he said, avoiding eye contact. "Isn't it a bit far to just walk?" I asked a bit confused. We were pretty deep in the forest.

"No, I live around here." He shrugged. "Around here..Wait where-" Ava cut me off by pulling my arm.

"There's no time for small talk there's a werewolf on the loose," she said as she looked into the trees.

I sighed heavily. "There isn't!" I complained."You don't know that, come on we gotta go." She pushed. I pulled my arm back.

"Fine. I can walk myself thank you" I said she crossed her arms as I looked at Lukas again. He smiled at me. "Don't hut more people with that stick of yours" he winked. I let out a laugh. "I'll try"

Ava let out a groan as she started walking. I turned around after saying goodbye. And I followed Ava to find her werewolf. Which still don't exist.