Almost Birthday

Shatter POV

I feel someone trying to shake me awake. Nah, I'm not ready to get up yet. I turn and pull my blanket over my head.

Lexie: Shatter, get up

Shatter: I don't wanna

Lexie grabs the blanket and pulls it off me. She leans over me and puts her head next to my ear.

Lexie: *sigh* GET UP!

Her shouting startles me. I quickly sit up and back away from her.

Shatter: What was that for?

Lexie: Good, you're up. Come to the living room.

Shatter: Let me brush my teeth first

Lexie: Fine.

She walks out of my room and slams the door behind her.

I get out of bed. I stretch out my arms and my elbows crack. I head to the bathroom and I brush my teeth. I try to avoid looking in the mirror.

As I'm walking out of the bathroom, something catches my eye. I look up at the mirror, I see electricity sparking from around my eyes and from my fingertips. Fuck- I'm glitching. I look down at my hands, I can feel the electricity rushing through them. I know what I have to do. I reach over the sink and turn on the faucet, the water starts to run. I take a deep breath before putting my hands under the running water. I feel the electricity spark throughout my whole body and my head jolts forward. With the electricity comes an intense wave of pain. I hold back a scream and fall to the ground. After a few seconds, I feel all the electricity leave my body. I open my eyes and look down at my hands, they aren't sparking anymore. I use my arms to stand myself up.

I look back at the mirror and a feeling of disappointment fills me. I hate the way I look- but not because of the reasons you might think. I've always told myself that the way people treat me- the way people are scared of me was cruel. But when I look in the mirror and actually see myself- I get it, I get why people are scared of me, I get why people treat me the way they do, I get why people avoid me. I- I look like a freak.

Lexie: SHATTER, HURRY UP

Shatter: COMING

I take in a deep breath and tear my gaze away from the mirror. I walk out to the living room. I see Lexie sitting on the couch, holding a small box covered in wrapping paper. I sit next to her.

Shatter: What is that?

Lexie: Happy Birthday Shatter

She hands me the box.

Shatter: Wait- is it?

Lexie: Well, almost, it's tomorrow. But I wanted to give this to you early.

I look down at the box and begin to tear off the wrapping paper. I get the wrapping paper off and open the box. There's something in it, it looks like... a pin button, like one of the ones with ribbon on it. I grab it out of the box and read the pin. It says "Second best birthday girl".

Shatter: Second best?

Lexie: Yeah

I look back up at Lexie and see she's wearing her own pin, which says "Best birthday girl". Of course.

Shatter: This is what you got me for our birthday?

Lexie: It's one of the things I got you. I'll give you my other gift on our actual birthday.

Shatter: Oh, well, thanks I guess.

Lexie: Happy almost birthday Shatter

Shatter: Happy almost birthday Lex

She moves toward me and gives me a hug.

Lexie: Oh- I also planned a small party for our birthday.

I draw back from the hug.

Shatter: What... why?

Lexie: It'll be fun

Shatter: Please, we both know nobody's gonna come to a party WE throw.

Lexie: It's worth a shot. Come on, we're gonna go and hand out invitations.

Shatter: I don't wanna do that.

Lexie: I'm doing it and you're coming with me.

Shatter: ...fine.

Lexie smiles before getting up off the couch and walking to the front door. I get up and follow her.

Lexie: Are you not going to change?

Shatter: People judge me no matter what I wear.

Lexie: Alright. Let's go then

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barbie POV

I have work off today so I'm hangin' out at The Broken Bottle. I'm sitting on the counter and having a glass of wine. I hear the door open and Lexie walks in followed by Shatter who's trying to hide behind her. Lexie waves at me and she pulls Shatter over to me.

Lexie: Hey Barbie!

Barbie: Oh, hello

Lexie pushes Shatter forward a little.

Shatter: Um, hello

Her face goes red, it's kinda cute.

Lexie: So, I don't know if you know, but tomorrow is our birthday.

Barbie: Oh, cool. Happy B-day.

Lexie: and... *whispers* Shatter, you ask her.

Shatter shakes her head no.

Lexie: *whispers* come on.

Shatter: umm, so, we're having a party at our house tomorrow. And well-

Barbie: Sure, I'll come to your party.

Shatter: Oh, thanks.

Lexie: Could you also tell your sisters about the party.

Barbie: Yeah, sure

Lexie: Cool, let's go Shatter.

They start to walk out of the bar. Shatter turns around and looks at me.

I make eye contact and wave at her. She jumps a little and her face goes red again. She turns her head and looks forward.

------------------Time Skip-----------------------------------------------

Me and the girls are chilling at home and watching tv.

Gemma: Oh, hey, I saw Lexie and Shatter come into the bar today, what did they want?

Oh shit- I forgot to tell 'em.

Barbie: Oh yeah, they invited me to their b-day party at their house and asked me to invite you guys.

Gemma: Well, you said no right?

Barbie: What? No. Why wouldn't I go?

Gemma: Umm, because they're insane, especially Shatter.

Barbie: What are you talking about? Shatter seemed scared to even talk to me.

Gemma: Yeah, 'cus she knows no one wants her around.

Barbie: You don't need to be rude.

Gemma: oh my fu- Karen, back me up here.

Karen: Gemma does have point, Lexie and Shatter are highly unstable

Barbie: Need I remind you that Gemma and I are unstables too.

Karen: Yes, but you're not nearly as unstable as Shatter.

Harley: I don't know, I helped Lexie and Shatter with the haunted house at Halloween, and they were pretty nice.

Karen: Well, they are good at being scary.

Gemma: We aren't going and that's that. Got it?

Barbie: Fine.

Of course, I'm lying- they can't control me. I'm going whether they like it or not.