The Waiting Zone

Maxine POV

My alarm goes off at 7:30 am and I climb out of bed. I think this is the first time I've ever set an alarm. I put on the nicest outfit I own. I peak into Maddie's room, but she's still asleep. I go outside and mount my scooter, Gabrielle said I could've just waited for her to arrive, but I really wanted to do a good job, maybe then people will start seeing me as more than just a singer.

Iris POV

I've been here a few days, but I'm already feeling cramped in this room. Thankfully, I finally get to leave today. I'm sitting by the door waiting to be picked up.

*doorbell rings*

I get up to open the door. On the other side of the door is a girl about my height, her hair slicked back on one side, she's wearing a really cool collared shirt with overalls. She looks me up and down.

Maxine: Hi, my name's Maxine, Max for short.

She reaches out her hand for a handshake. I shake her hand.

Maxine: I like your hair

Iris: Hello, I'm Iris, I like your hair too

Maxine: Thanks, I'm here to drive you into town

Maxine gestures to a scooter waiting next to the street

Iris: Great, it's nice to finally be out of here

Maxine: So, let's get going

She turns and starts to walk towards her scooter. I run to catch up with her.

Iris: Hey, um... you know I'm new here, so I was wondering if you could explain, well- everything to me?

Maxine: Of course, it's my job to show you around. This is The Waiting Zone, it's where you stay from when your music video is announced, until the day it's released.

Iris: I'm sorry, video?

Maxine: It's a little hard to explain, but when someone makes a music video, they play a character or characters and we get, "made" I guess.

Iris: O...kay?

Maxine: It is a little confusing, but you'll get used to it. Anyways, we should start driving into town.

She gets on the scooter and offers me a seat.

Iris: Alright

I sit down behind her. Maxine revs the engine on her scooter.

Maxine: Respectfully, you're going to need to hold on to my waist if you don't want to fall off.

I do as she says and Maxine starts driving.

----------------Time skip---------------------

Maxine POV

We've been driving for a while, and the silence was becoming unbearable.

Maxine: So how long were you in The Waiting Zone?

Iris: About 4 days, I think

Maxine: Oh, cool, me and my roommate Maddie were in there for 11 days but we had each other, I could never imagine being alone for that long.

Iris: It wasn't that bad, a bit boring though.

Maxine: Well, lucky for you, things are rarely boring in town

Iris chuckles and it makes me blush.

Buildings start appearing as we drive by.

Iris: Are we here?

Maxine: Almost, we just need to get to our neighborhood.

I speed through the town's main entrance and over to the district where me, Maddie, and ig Iris now, live.

I park my scooter in between my house and Iris's new house. I hop off and offer Iris help dismounting my scooter.

Maxine: there's your house

Iris POV

Maxine gestures to a big white mansion, the last house on the street. My mouth drops open when I see it for the first time, IT'S SO PRETTY!! I can hear Maxine laughing at me, which makes me blush.

Maxine: Are you just going to stand there staring or are you going to go in?

I laugh and roll my eyes as I walk up to the mansion's door. It is pearly white and embedded with gold. I open the door and step into the house and OMG THE INSIDE IS EVEN PRETTIER THAN THE OUTSIDE!! The decorations are gorgeous! The furniture looks perfect!

 I open the door and step into the house and OMG THE INSIDE IS EVEN PRETTIER THAN THE OUTSIDE!! The decorations are gorgeous! The furniture looks perfect!

 I step further into the mansion and I hear Maxine step in behind me

Maxine: Woah! Your house is so cool!

Iris: I know!

I jump up and down out of excitement, I can't help it, everything is just so cool.

Maxine: How the hell do you jump in heels? I can barely walk in them without tripping.

I giggle.

Iris: I just have good balance I guess

Maxine: So, would you rather look around the rest of your house or do you want me to introduce you to other people.

Iris: I can explore my house later, I'd love to meet new people.

Maxine: Cool, Maddie should be right next door, I'll introduce you to her first

Iris: Great, let's go

I rush over to Maxine and we walk out of the house together.