Opening up

Gemma POV

I'm filling a couple's wine glasses, when I see Maddie run to the bathroom crying, Max follows her but doesn't go in the bathroom. After a few seconds, Max walks away from the bathroom door and heads toward the exit.

Gemma: Hey, Max, what happened?

Max: oh, who fucking cares!

What? Max never yells.

Max storms out of the bar.

I should probably check on Maddie, shouldn't I? God, I'm gonna hate this.

I walk over to the bathroom door.

Gemma: Hey, Maddie?

She doesn't respond but I can hear her crying.

Gemma: Maddie?

Maddie: Leave me alone, Gemma.

Seriously what happened?

Gemma: Maddie, I'm just trying to help.

Maddie: I don't need your help!

Well, she has always been a liar.

I try to open the bathroom door but it's locked. I go over to the counter and grab the bathroom keys. I go back over to the bathroom and unlock it. I open the door and see Maddie sitting on the floor with her chin resting on her knees, and tears running down her face. Damn, she looks like a mess.

Maddie: What do you want?

Gemma: Okay, first of all, you should get off the bathroom floor 'cus it's disgusting.

I reach out my hand, she hesitates for a second and then takes it.  I help her up and walk her out of the bathroom, we sit at a booth.

Gemma: Now, what happened?

Maddie: I finally told Maxine how I feel and I- I did something really stupid and she got mad at me.

Gemma: Well, you do a lot of stupid things, you're going to have to be more specific.

Maddie: I thought you were trying to help.

More tears pour from her eyes. Well fuck, it's no fun being mean to her when she's like this.

Gemma: sorry, sorry.

Maddie: I just want Max to love me

Gemma: Maddie, she does love you, you mean so much to her,  just not in that way.

Maddie: I know I sound dramatic, but I genuinely don't know how I can live knowing Max doesn't love me the way I love her.

I take a deep breath and this time tears come to my eyes.

Gemma: You don't sound dramatic, ever since you got here you revolved your entire life around Max.

Maddie: But it's insane to revolve your life around one person.

Gemma: It's not insane, it's just who you are, you can't make Max feel the same way you do, but there are other people who will appreciate and love you the way you want to be loved.

Maddie: People... Like you?

Gemma: Alright, don't push it, you're still an annoying bitch.

Maddie: *laughs* I am, aren't I.

She wipes the tears from her eyes and gives me a hug.

Maddie: Thank you 

Gemma: It was nothing 

Maddie: It was everything

She gives me another hug. I roll my eyes.

Gemma: Alright, that's enough, it's not like we're friends or anything.

She lets go of me.

Maddie: Right, totally not friends

She smiles at me, then gets up and walks away.