Apology

Jade POV

It's been a few days since what happened with Faith and I'm going to visit her. I've been wanting to check on her for a while, but I've been too nervous. What if it was my fault? What if I hurt her? I don't know what I would do with myself if I did.

I go up to their house and knock on the door. I wait for a few seconds but the door doesn't open. What am I doing here? I shouldn't be here, they don't want to see me. I start to walk away from the house when the door opens.

Hope: Oh, hi Jade

I turn around to face her. Her eyes are red and puffy, she looks like she's been crying. That's a first.

Jade: Sorry, I should go

I start to back away from the door.

Hope: Come in, Jade

What? Why would she want me inside?

Jade: Uh, really?

Hope: Yeah.

I walk in and she motions at me to sit on their couch. I hesitate before sitting next to her.

Jade: So, how's Faith

Hope: She's okay, but the doctor says her vocal cords are damaged, so she can't speak. She's asleep right now.

She can't speak? Shit, this is more serious than I thought. Hope's eyes start to water.

Jade: Hey, listen, I don't know if it was my fault, b-but if it was, I'm so so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt her I-

Hope puts her arms around me and lays her head on my shoulder, I can hear her crying. Okay, what the fuck is going on? Is she pranking me? She never wants to be near me, much less cry on my shoulder.

I carefully lift her head off her shoulder.

Jade: Hey, hey, what's wrong?

Hope: I-it's not your fault w-what happened to Faith, i-it's mine. I've been so controlling and I- I stressed her out, it was my fault. I'm so sorry I blamed you, I'm sorry for how I've treated you, I was awful.

Jade: Hey, it's okay

Hope: But it's not okay.

Jade: You were just trying to protect your sister, you didn't mean to hurt her.

She wipes the tears from her cheeks.

Hope: Thanks

She smiles weakly.

I hear clapping coming from the hallway.

Hope: Faith?

Faith runs over to us, she jumps on the couch and hugs me and Hope.

Jade: Were you watching us the whole time?

She smiles and nods, which makes me laugh.

Hope: And, d-do you forgive me?

She turns toward Hope and nods.

Hope smiles and hugs her again.

Faith scoots closer to me and I wrap my arm around her. Hope gets up and covers us with a blanket, she grabs the tv remote and puts on a movie.

Hope: Have fun, love birds.

Faith and I look at each other and she smiles. I nod and she rests her head on my shoulder. It feels nice.

We spend the rest of the day together, and she ends up falling asleep in my arms. It's a great day.