Preparing for war

The Imperial Drop Pod assault was quick, with other transports used to deliver ammo, food and various other supplies, such as tents, before the ship moved out of orbit, joining in the attack of the remaining droid ships, that were in the system. The Republic was setting down forces by gunship and by smaller ships called blockade runners. A base was set up, with two sections, an Imperial, and the republic.

The Imperial section was walled off with some segmented defense walls, with a few vehicles prepared. The Imperial camp was solely astartes.

25 Lions lead by Chaplin Vastith. He carried a mace with a lion carved from metal, and wore a lion pelt with a lion's skull carved into the design of the helmet. The Lions had several bikes with them, and some worked on the bikes, while some built up fortifications from the ground. Many carried bolters with chain swords on their hips. 5 marines climbed onto bikes, to do a bit of scouting the outer edges of the imperial base zone.

25 Blades lead by Lieutenant Sirus. He was armed with a clawed gauntlet and wore a cloak, had a spear like weapon, but with a chainsaw blade as the spear tip. The blades were setting up their barracks and storage sheds. They were checking inventory and were accomplishing the more basic and logistical aspect of the base.

25 Spears lead by Lord Executioner Voth, who carried a large two handed axe with chainsaw blades on the edges, along with a plume that traveled along the ridge of his helmet, which had a removable face plate. The Spears were on watch, patrolling the grounds beyond the walls, ensuring the safety, armed with bolters. They had left their shields and spears in a pile, centered around a set of tents each one would house 5 marines.

25 Lords of Iron lead by Tech-marine Baldarun, who carried a large axe that emitted electricity, and had a pack with several mechanical arms, and armor was a mix of red and black, unlike the rest, who were a base of black with yellow accents. The Lords of Iron were busy maintaining other vehicles, the large tanks and support craft they used. They set up a set of turrets that would become the corner posts of their camp.

The Imperial force waited as the Republic built the base they needed. It would take longer, having a larger area for more barracks, vehicles and a larger headquarters. Eventually, as both bases were set up, plans were made, and Anakin walked to the Imperial section, finding that there was a pit was dug, with the carious marines looking down into the pit. Anakin walked towards the edge, and looked down, seeing two marines fighting.

The marines had only robes that covered their legs. The two circled each other, knives in hand. One would moved forward and slash the air, the other dodged and tried to slash his opponent, the two circled each other, before one finally moved in and punched the marine in the face, than slashing the arm with his knife.

"END!" a marine shouted and the marines stepped back.

A new marine entered, this one having a cybernetic left hand. The marine who was cut left the pit and handed his knife to the man walking in. The two began the ritual like duel again, he saw a few marines were in robes, the cuts on their arms and chests were already scabbed over, showing evidence of the cuts that were already healing fast.

"What is going on?" Anakin asked.

"An ancient ritual shared between the parent chapters, the Lions and the Spears's progenitors have a legend, their gene fathers fought for several days, both claim victory, and that had them create an ancient tradition of dueling when ever the meet, 11 bouts, first to draw blood continues to the next. First team to get 6 bloods wins. The 11 rounds are suppose to represent the number of days fighting." a marine explained.

The two fought, before the man with a cybernetic hand was able to draw blood from his opponent.

"END! SCORE 6-5, Lions claim victory." a man announced.

"That puts it the record 268 to 257. We still hold the lead." One of the spears marines said.

The group dispersed and man in the pit walked back, and put on a lion's pelt having it rest on his shoulders.

"Republic commander, why are you in our base?" He asked, smiling.

"I am hoping to discuss some plans with you and your forces. We have found a path that the droids take on a regular basis, and it goes between two buildings. If we set up an ambush there, we can destroy a large number of droids and end this battle faster. I was hoping that your forces would be able to provide some extra fire power." Anakin said.

"Hmmm, interesting, Send us the plans, we will look it over, then I will tell you if it works for us as well. We may make some recommendations of change, if we find flaws." Vastith explained.

"I do hope that we can work together effectively." Anakin said.

"We are a force who works best.....alone." The Chaplin said, walking away.

Anakin looked around, until he saw Lieutenant Sirus, he had his men share in a ritual. They gathered, and he poured from a bottle, a red liquid, to each held a cup, and each drank from them as they were filled.

"May the blessings of our father keep us safe, may his sacrifice be that of honor, courage and strength, to grand us peace. May the darkness that curses all of his blood be stayed, praise be the emperor of man, god of all, most wise of Humanity." The Lieutenant said, as he raised his glass.

Before he turned away, walking back to his own base. The next few days would be mostly scouting missions. Slick and his team were pretty good, they would be sent out for scouting, make sure the marked buildings would be passed through, on a consistent basis.