The Infected

By GirLegend99

Danger surrounds every part of the world now. Humans are scared to leave their hideouts. There are a few supp... More

Warning!
Prologue.
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Epilogue
Awards and Announcement
Sequel
Zombies vol2
Nothing Ever Stays Dead

Chapter 37

24.2K 1K 469
By GirLegend99

~•~ Chapter 37 ~•~

Another update because I'm soo in the mood! One week until spring break ugh! Enjoy this one babes x

~•~ ~•~ ~•~

“Girl, you were great! Did you see his face when we gave back the guns?” Thomas said, giving me an amused look as we walked down the hallways, heading back to our rooms. His cheekbone had a small trace of green paint and the ends of his hair had yellow paint matted on it.

“He won't talk to me for the rest of the night,” I joked, although part of me knew I was right. Harry seemed pissed when that woman's voice announced that Harry was out. He didn't like it when the others cheered me up about my victory, how much when they teased him that he lost from a girl.

“He doesn't like losing, we all know that.” He nodded, moving his hand in front of him. “But damn, his face!” he laughed again, making me giggle. “Eapecially when Louis teased him, he wanted to shove that gun up his ass, I'm sure!” he said, making me laugh along.

Indeed, Harry's glare was hard towards Louis, as if he was planning how to kill him inside his head. Seeing how much it annoyed him that he had lost amused me. I finally had something to throw in his face. I won, I got really tired and hit a lot, but I won.

“Let's see if he'll show up later.” Thomas chuckled, eyes staring ahead, a grin on his face.

I shrugged, “Even if he does, he won't talk to me nor Louis.” I said. We had planned all of us to go up to the roof at 11pm just to chill out, have a few drinks and have some fun. We all agreed to go, along with Harry, but I don't really see him coming.

“Nah, he will be okay, with a few drinks he will loosen up.” He said easily, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. I smiled up at him, “You really are something, Claire.” he said, raising his fist.

I bumped my fist with his, “Thanks. But I really just think I'm well-trained, that's all.” I admitted cooly. We reached my room's door and he pulled his arm away, “I have to take a shower, I'm covered in paint.” I said, looking down at my purple palms and orange stains on my fingers.

“True, we look like freaks.” he chuckled, running a hand through his hair. Then, he looked at his yellow fingers, ”Shit! I got paint in my hair! I gotta go!” he said and hurriedly walked away, making me laugh as I watched him.

I shook my head in amusement and entered my quiet room. I closed the door, a smile on my lips. It was the smile of victory. I couldn't feel any better about this. Harry lost, because I beat him. If that didn't make me wanna pat myself in the back, then I don't know what would.

I entered the bathroom, the smell of lemons hitting my senses. What's up with the lemon sprays in here? Huffing, I closed the door and locked it, thinking that someone might come to my room and search for me and the last thing I wanted was someone to enter the bathroom while I'm having a shower.

I stripped from my clothes and turned on the water, waiting for it to turn hot. I tested the temperature with my fingers and once it turned hot, I stepped in the shower and slid the glass door shut. A small moan came from my lips when I felt the water travel down my back and all the way to my legs. The ache on my lower back even diminished a bit.

I scrubbed my body with the soap, massaging my skin gently to get rid of the paint and the pain. I felt my muscles relax and I suddenly had the urge to sleep. I then grabbed the shampoo and washed my hair, tilting slightly my head back as I massaged my sculp, making sure no paint stays. Once I rinsed my hair, I grabbed the conditioner and applied it from the middle of the length of my hair to the ends. I rinsed my hair again and I stepped out of the shower. Fog was created, making the room feel warmer.

I wrapped a towel around my hair and used another one to dry myself. I picked up the clothes from the floor and put them to the side. I unlocked the door and walked back into my room. I opened the dresser and searched through the clothes the factory gives us. I furrowed my brows as I thought about it for a moment.

A factory, that is helping us with clothes, medication, weaponary and more exists, but we have to go on raids and get ourselves what we need? Why? I mean, why put at risk lives when we already receive what we need? Something is off. I wish I could get answers from Harry, but I knew that he wouldn't mind explaining to me.

I pursed my lips and picked up a dark red tee and a pair of black sweats, along with white socks and a black jacket with a hoodie. I unwrapped the towel from around my body and placed it on the dresser before checking up some marks and bruises on my body. A few cuts, scratches on my legs and the sides of my thighs and a bruise on my right hip.

I got dressed up and decided to lay down in bed and relax. I got hit a lot of times today, I needed a break. I drapped an arm over my eyes and rested my other hand on my stomach, one knee bent and the other stretched out. I sighed deeply, a hint of pain still dancing on my lower back.

I whined and rolled on my stomach, my hand gripping tightly the edge of my pillow. I closed my eyes and tried to ignore the pain. I would fall asleep sooner or later and I wouldn't feel a thing.

However, time passed by and I still couldn't sleep. I kept thinking about the whole game, how it started and how it ended. How Harry fought against me, but was still careful not to harm me that much, although hitting me on my lower back hurt a lot. My brain took me back to when he picked me up from the wall, so easily, carefully yet aggresively. My heart raced with warmth when I remembered how close we were. Then I went back to when I was on top of him, struggling with his hands to break free.

I bit my lower lip, a smile breaking through my face. I had to admit it to myself, I liked the feeling of being so close to him, on top of him, with his face inches away from mine, despite the situation.

Why do I feel so strong things when I'm around him? Why when he looks at me and smirks I feel my knees weak? Why when he says he cares about me, I feel great? Why when we touch, my heart melts?

Then's when it hit me.

I started having feelings for him.

I rolled on my back, my hand coming up to my forehead as I realised what the hell is going on with me all this time. I don't get that intrigued with someone so easily, I don't get that addicted to someone that easily and I don't get that weak in front of someone so easily.

I have noticed it before, when it's just the two of us, it feels as if no one else matters and time stops. He gets angry when I'm around with other guys, which means he's jealous. Does he feel the same way as I do? Does he have feelings for me? The thought made me press my thighs together and tense up as chills ran down my spine.

I chewed on my lower lip, remember other moments of me and him. When he wanted to apologise to me, the tension was clear around us, and it was the first time I had hugged him, which was a few seconds of pure comfort and care. When it was just the two of us on the roof, I had told him that he doesn't show feelings and he seemed as if he didn't like it that I thought of him like that. When we washed the dishes and he said he doesn't trust me, I remember how much that bothered me, but also hurt me. When he wouldn't talk to me for killing his mother, I was very sad about it, but also angry because he didn't see the good in my actions. And when I was angry with him, he grabbed me and apologised to me, and he seemed bothered when I avoided him.

Which means, we don't like fighting and avoiding each other, as if we must be okay with each other.

A sigh came past my lips. I don't know if this could ever go any further. Harry is so close to himself, he won't open up to me, and he hides everything he feels so damn well it's like he covers his face with his hands and you can't see his eyes at all. The thought made my heart tug but I did my best to ignore it.

I glanced at the clock, 10:30pm. I pouted my lips, unsure if I should go to the roof with the others. The last thing I wanted wass get all awkward in front of Harry now that I cleared up my feelings towards him. He also is pissed at me for kicking his ass earlier.

I sat up and shook my head, causing the towel around my hair to drop on the bed behind me, my long hair free and dump. I sighed, deciding not to let my feelings for Harry change everything. He probably doesn't feel anything, I can't have any hope inside of me.

After drying my hair, I took a pill to stop the pain on my lower back. I hated that dull ache back there. It bothered me when I walked. Maybe I should tell Liam to check me up, what if I broke a bone or something? I'm going to kill both Harry and Zayn if I did, since they are responsible for that.

Loud knocks on the door made me jump and I snapped my head towards it, raising my brows. “Come on, sweetheart! Time to go!” I immidiately recognised the voice and a goofy smile appeared on my lips.

I walked towards the door and opened, revealing Louis and Thomas behind it. Thomas leaned against the wall across from me, hands in his jeans' pockets, while Louis had one hand placed on the doorframe and the other on his hip. They both looked good, dressed in simple t-shirts and jeans with a casual jacket on top, only that Thomas was wearing a deep green one and Louis was wearing a denim one.

“Hello,” I smiled, stepping out of my room. Louis eyed me up and down. “What?” I raised a brow.

“Nothing, you look great.” he shrugged, a flirty smile on his face.

I chuckled, “Thanks, Jake number 2.” I teased, causing Thomas to cackle.

Louis grinned, “I'm much better than Jake, and that includes the bed, too.” he winked, making me laugh.

“Womanizer.” I teased, slapping his arm lightly.

He smickered and we started walking down the hallway, Thomas following from behind. “I'm so not a womanizer.” he said, although I could tell he didn't quite believe his own words.

“Mhmm,” Thomas hummes sarcastically from behind, making me giggle.

Louis turned to send him a glare. “You shut up, I saw you dancing with Erika at the festival so don't try to fight me.” he pointed at Thomas, eyes narrowed.

Thomas' brows shot skywards. “Wait what? She made me do it!” He claimed, throwing his hands towards me.

I chuckled. “Don't act like you didn't want to do it.” I said, looking forward again.

“Exactly, you enjoyed it.” Louis said, sounding certain.

“Why do I hang out with you again?” Thomas asked, although we knew he didn't need an answer.

“Because we're the cool guys.” Louis however answered, smirking cheekily. “Crazy mofos, like Niall says.” he corrected, moving his index finger.

I giggled, nudging Louis' shoulder with mine.

We went up to the roof, Louis taking the lead since I didn't remember the way just like Thomas, who hasn't been on the roof a lot of times. We climbed up the stairs and the fresh air hit my face, making my hair dance behind my head. I smiled when I saw Chris, Zayn and Kate already up there, holding a few beers and sitting down on the concrete.

“Yo, guys.” Zayn greeted, nodding his head. He had a snapback on and he was wearing a black varsity jacket and black jeans. He looked like the bad boy in a high school. His beer glistened under the lights of the moon and the few streetlights. A smile came on my lips when I took in the view. I really liked being up here. It made me feel free.

“What's up, guys?” Louis said, sitting down on the floor. He almost immidiately reached for a beer from the small basket between Zayn and Kate and took a long gulp.

“All good.” Chris answered easily, leaning back closer to Kate, who was sitting next to him with her legs crossed.

“Had a lot of fun earlier.” Thomas announced happily, taking a seat next to Louis, propping himself on his elbows as he layed back.

“I bet we all did.” Kate huffed.

“Especially Harry, that defeat must have burned him for good.” Louis smirked, glancing at me with his blue eyes.

I chuckled and sat down beside Thomas, leaning back on my hands that were flat against the floor, my knees bent. “Seriously, stop mocking him because he might never talk to me ever again.” I said, shaking my head gently.

“Ooh, you think?” Louis raised his brows, “He wouldn't.” he said after considering about it for a bit.

“Give us some,” Thomas said, holding out his hand, his eyes fixated on the basket.

Zayn grabbed two beers and gave it to Thomas. He handed one to me and clinked his against mine before smirking, “To your flawless victory.” he teased and I rolled my eyes.

“Okay, not flawless, but eh.” Louis said, shrugging, his beer resting on his lap.

I gasped, while the others laughed. I reached over Thomas and punched his shoulder, causing him to wince. “Ow! I was just joking!” he claimed, giving me an amused look. His dark hair was a bit messy because of the wind, but it made his blue eyes glow.

“Harry! Welcome!” Chris suddenly cheered, raising his arm as he looked past me, a grin on his face.

Shudders ran down my spine and I was sure it had nothing to do with the chilly wind.

I turned my head to see him, walking towards us, wearing simple black jeans with a black tee and black boots, his hair pushed back, but in a messy way. My stomach churned and I found myself checking him out a bit longer than I should. I was surprised to see Liam climbing up the stairs and joining us, too.

“Hey guys,” Liam greeted just when Harry took a seat next to me, his shoulder brushing against mine as he shifted to get comfortable.

“Hi.” I smiled at Liam before taking a gulp from my beer. The sour taste travelled down my throat.

“Niall kept complaining about how much he wanted to come up here.” Liam said, causing Louis and Kate to chuckle.

“Why am I not surprised?” Chris mumbled, tilting his head back before taking four quick gulps.

“How is everything going on with his leg?” Zayn asked, leaning forward to look at Liam.

“It's definitely better. He can move it a bit, but he can't put pressure on it, how much walk. It will take a while.” Liam answered easily, his brown eyes landing on the basket next to Zayn. “Give me one, mate.” he said nicely.

“Yeah, one for me, too.” Harry said.

Zayn picked up two bottles and handed them to Louis who handed them to Thomas who handed them to me who handed them to Harry and Liam. It looked as if we were playing game. The sound of Harry gulping down his beer beside me made me give him a strange look. Why is this boy so loud?

“Oi! Did you see that?” Louis suddenly exclaimed, staring up at the dark sky.

“What?” Kate asked, all of us looking up at the sky. I couldn't help but admire the beauty of the stars.

“I just saw a shooting star.” Louis answered, a grin on his face. “For the first time in the fucking history.” He said, making me gape at him.

“Really? You've never seen a shooting star before?” I asked, my brows raised in disbelief.

He shook his head, his blue eyes shining as he kept them fixated on the sky. “Nope. Never happened.” he said cooly.

“It's just so fucking good here.” Zayn sighed, pulling out a packet of cigarettes from his varsity jacket's pockets. I couldn't help the frown on my face. I wish he could stop smoking, it's bad for his health.

“Yeah, why don't we come up here every night?” Thomas said after he gulped down some of his drink.

“Because we got things to do.” Harry answered dryly. “We're not kids to lazy around all the time.” he added, green eyes focused ahead.

“Chilling out doesn't mean you're lazy.” I said, noticing his lips twitch in dissatisfaction.

“Especially if you worked the rest of the day.” Kate added, shrugging.

Harry pursed his lips, as if holding himself from saying something bad. “Our shift for the dishes is tomorrow, don't forget it.” Liam changed the subject, making Louis roll his eyes.

“Why do you remind us? I don't care about the damn dishes. I prefer doing the laundry than washing dishes.” he said, moving his beer as he talked.

“Oh is that so?” Harry turned to cock a brow at Louis. “There are a few women downstairs right now, cleaning the cafeteria, do you want me to send you there to help?”

Louis seemed shocked while the rest of us laughed. “I was kidding.” he shook his head, a small grin flashing on his lips. “Damn, losing that game really pissed you off, huh?” he teased, making me stiffen.

I noticed Thomas hesitantely looking at Harry, while Chris and Kate stared down at their drinks. Zayn casually smoked his cigarette, eyes staring ahead. Harry chewed on his lower lip, the cool breeze brushing agaimst his face, pushing his long hair back as he stared at Louis.

“I at least didn't leave the game first.” He shot back, causing a round of laugher to come from the rest of us, including me.

Louis gave Harry a surprised and amused look. “Touché.”

A smirk stretched on Harry's lips and relief washed through me. Okay, at least he isn't angry.

“That game was definitely better than the other time we decided to fight zombies.” Liam claimed, Kate and Thomas nodding in agreement.

“Yeah, next time don't let Louis pick a level of difficulty and stage.” Zayn huffed, smoke coming out from his full lips. Half of his face was covered by a shadow but he looked so good, like a model posing for a photoshoot.

“No way am I ever letting that happen again.” Harry said, his voice light, although I knew he meant what he said.

Louis scoffed. “The water was cool, don't say shit.” He stated, bringing his beer back to his mouth.

“Next time we'll play, I'll make sure Louis doesn't know.” Chris said.

Louis gasped and I couldn't help the loud laugh coming from my chest. Thomas leaned against my shoulder, cackling with his eyes closed shut. Kate giggled and I noticed Chris' arm snaking loosely around her waist, pulling her close. My grin grew even bigger.

“You fucker!” Louis hissed, glaring at Chris, reaching closer to punch his shoulder.

Zayn raised his arm, blocking Louis. “Woah! Kate and I are in the fucking middle.” he said firmly, cocking his head.

Louis scoffed. “Yeah okay, bro. Take his side now.” he rolled his eyes.

“I'm not taking his side, you know I will always be your ally.” Zayn smirked smugly, wrapping his arm around Louis' shoulders. Louis tried to act nonchalant and angry, but a smirk broke his tough facàde. “Eh, you're right.” he gave in, shrugging.

Suddenly, a loud splat was heard, causing us all to jump. Startled, I rose to my feet, the rest of the guys and Kate doing the same thing. “What the hell was that?” Liam asked as we all walked towards the protective stone wall around the edges of the roof.

I squinted through the darkness and placed my hands on the cold surface of the wall, trying to see something that might give us some answers. From what I could see, the city was quiet. A few streetlights flickered, silence surrounding us.

“I don't see anything.” Chris muttered in thought, narrowing his eyes.

“Maybe a building started breaking down.” Thomas guessed, placing his hand on top of his head.

“Maybe.” Kate murmured.

“No, if it was a building, it wouldn't sound like that.” I protested, shaking my head gently.  “That sounded like a body falling from a balcony or something.” I said, keeping my voice low.

Suddenly, a growl was heard, making my heart stop. No. My eyes widened as I heard a grunt. No way. I felt Harry and Thomas stiffen beside me. “Holy shit.” Louis gasped and I hesitantely moved my eyes down at the entrance of our hideout.

My stomach knotted when I saw a zombie lying on the ground, his lower body was stretched out, ready to be separated from his upper half. Blood started creating a pool beneath his body and his head was in a weird angle.

What the hell is he doing here?

“Does any of you carry a gun with you?” Thomas asked, keeping his wide eyes on the zombie.

“We don't need a gun.” Harry said confidently, suddenly pulling out a knife from his waistband.

I furrowed my brows, my lips pulled into my mouth as he leaned closer the wall, raising his knife in the air. I watched as he bit his lower lip, his brows pulled low in concetration. He slightly rocked back and forth, trying to find the best angle for him to attack. Then, when he felt ready, he threw the knife swiftly, causing it to rip the zombie's skull, splashing more blood on the ground. I grimaced and looked away, my insides twisting.

“This is so bad,” Louis said as we all turned to look at each other. “This shouldn't happen.” he shook his head, sounding stressed.

“How the fuck did he get so close to the hideout without being shot down?” Zayn asked, staring directly at Harry.

“I have to check up the guards.” He answered gruffly, face showing annoyance and frustration. “They should have saw him.” He murmured, eyes falling on the floor in thought.

“Wait, I saw them all heading to the basement earlier, but I thought they followed your orders.” Thomas said, brows furrowed.

Harry's eyes narrowed. “They what?” he seethed through clenched teeth, causing me flinch. He balled his palms into fists, a vein bulging out on his neck.

“Wait, isn't their extra break tonight?” Louis raised a brow, his beer still in his hand. “It's their third week already.”

“No, I didn't give them any extra break, especially this late.” Harry shook his head, voice coming out certain and strong.

“Then you better go downstairs and put them in place.” Chris urged, nodding once.

Harry's emerald green eyes flicked to Thomas and he raised both brows. “Understand now why we don't lazy around every night?” he shot sarcastically, not giving Thomas the time to reply as he walked away and jumped down the small door, instead of using the stairs.

Thomas seemed shocked and confused at the same time, but I knew that it was going to bug him off for the rest of the night. I patted his shoulder and he averted his brown eyes to me. “Chill, don't take it seriously.”

“I'm not.” he shrugged.

“Good.”

“I'm going to help him.” Chris said, giving Kate's waist a gentle squeeze with his hand before he started walking away.

“I'm going, too.” Liam said, following Chris.

I peered at the dead zombie lying on the ground one last time, crigning at the sight before walking away from the wall. My mood was slightly dropped, while stress and worry had risen up. Terrible thoughts roamed through my head as I stared down at the glistening bottle of beer in my hands.

If one of them reached our hideout, many more will do, too.

__________________________________

A/N: Okay, what do you think? It's simple, but that's only because wild things are on the way. Claire realised her feelings for Harry, thoughts about that? Thanks for reading. Love you xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22K 527 13
Helena Osborne is a childhood friend of David Budd. They had been through thick and thin. One night Dave shows up in the middle of the night at her d...
416K 11.3K 52
He was everything she didn't want. She was everything he was trying to find. She didn't want his life. He wanted her in his life. She didn't want him...
28.7K 689 15
Y/n, the older brother of the collector. Finally seeing them again after centuries of not being able to see or communicate with them from the demon r...
Fake Love By :)

Fanfiction

155K 3.6K 50
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...