49 - A Friend

____________

ELLA QUICKLY MOVED  towards Meredith, the unicorn followed — Meredith was hiding behind a few trees.

"Meredith?", she carefully asked, reminders of their last moments together started playing in her head all over again.

"It's me, yeah. Wow, Ella! Your dress... Is stunning.", the little girl said, looking at the fabric in awe. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing...", the Princess said back.

"Mom lives nearby. Never told you this, but my parents are divorced and now she lives here. Somewhere, but here.", Meredith said lowly and then her eyes widened. "It's not safe for you here. Follow me.", Ella couldn't not do as told, since she couldn't guess where she was. Another forest she had to walk through.

"Where are we heading?"

"Towards a safe place.", Meredith said as she avoided long branches and humid grass. Ella simply followed her, deciding to stay silent, since she trusted the girl. Somewhat.

After minutes of trying to get away from branches, wet grass and bulky trees, they arrived in front of a tiny wooden house. It was adorable and kinda creepy at the same time, but surely looked safer than the streets with people who gave her nasty looks.

Meredith muttered a spell and then the door opened. "The unicorn can come in. There's enough space for everyone.", the girl wasn't lying, because when they entered the little home, she noticed that the place was much bigger than expected.

A bed, a couch, a fireplace, a table and an old library.

Sky found herself in front of the fireplace, her wings covering her torso. Ella and Meredith were sitting on the couch facing each other.

"We're in England, Ella.", the brunette said and met Ella's eyes. "Where are you heading?"

"Home. France.", Ella's answer was short and she felt like if a wrong question was asked, that she'd explode.

"I'm sorry for how I acted that night. I j-just... If I had know that that was going to be the last time seeing you...", salty tears left Meredith's eyes, but she quickly brushed them away.

"Please forgive me, Ella.", she took her hands and wrapped her own around hers, as if she wanted to spread some warmth. Brown meeting deep blue, so what could she say to that?

"Of course I forgive you, Meredith. It's just very hard for me right now—", the younger girl jumped to hug her as a huge weight was taken off her chest. "Thank you."

Meredith started talking; the events that had taken place after the night of the ball, the horrifying betrayal from Severus Snape, Albus Dumbledore's death and eventually about what supposedly happened to Ella.

"People are spreading rumours. I've often heard that they had found your body under the piles of snow and trees... Another rumour is that you're a Death Eater, since you know, the ice thing... You're not, right?", Ella shook her head.

"What happened to... Draco?"

"He ran away with a couple of Death Eaters...", she said slowly. Meredith looked away and took a breath. "My family and Draco's are close... If you want updates...", she muttered. The young girl didn't agree with Draco's choice, though she cared about Ella and giving here that sort of information would've surely made her happy.