42 - The Ball

_____________

THE ROOM SUDDENLY  quieted. No one spoke or dared to breath louder, because the door had finally opened. In the hours they had in disposition, the students and Professors learned something that they had never been taught before. From decorating to behaving. In France it was different; different behaviour, rules and even jokes — but everyone had to adapt.

Queen's orders.

Ella looked at the vast crowd, all the girls wearing the same light blue dress and the boys with their tuxedos. She thought about the day where instead of walking to her old lover's arms, she would've walked towards the crown that every French Queen would've had to carry at some point.

The Princess bowed and that's when the light music started playing. The soft touches of the piano keys and violin strings filled the Great Hall. As the Princess walked, the path in front of her started being freed so that she could reach the well dressed Draco in the middle of their own little stage.

Students and Professors were on the room's side as the French atmosphere let them all live the dream that probably wouldn't last long, but would be enjoyed as long as it lasted. Everyone looked at the couple, that was about to slow dance — as tradition wished.

Ella's hands shook and her heart beat faster than ever — the young man was going through the same crisis, though Draco masked it well. 

What if I tripped? What if I lost a shoe? What if I— What if I—

But suddenly there was no time to wonder anything, because Ella bowed in front of him and with his heart in his throat, he did too. The music stopped, as the Princess had to mutely confirm that she was going to dance with him, and then it started again. Even slower and more delicate than before.

Tiny butterflies flew around them, throwing golden and silver dust in the air. The sparkles set on her dress and eventually on his suit. His hand found her waist and her hand found his, the sparkles appearing all over again. Her eyes slowly found his, those grey eyes that she realised she missed in her own way. The tangled hair and that perfect suit of his. A dream.

A small smile appeared on his lips and a small blush was painted on his cheeks. Ella's own lips formed a small smile, that instantly made him forget about the events that were bound to happen.

She still felt something.

The thought is what kept him on his toes, yet the doubt is what made him believe that the feeling was useless, because after the war she would never remember who he was.

She would get married in her own castle as a queen and all I hope is to come out alive and less miserable.

That smile, ah that smile. The light in her eyes that appeared right after her lips allowed teeth to show. He allowed himself to think further; her kindness, her sweetness, her passion, her insecurities. He couldn't possibly deny her inner beauty, it was simply beautiful and insanely attractive.

Their feet moved to the slow and sweet sound of the instruments and when her hand left his, he knew that the first dance was done. She bowed and he did too, the music fading in the air and people applauding.

Ella smiled again and another big smile was on his lips as well. The music started again but the beat was faster and definitely cheerier than before. The next couples followed and started dancing too.

"Would you make me happy with a dance, Minerva?", Professors Slughorn bowed and offered her his hand. Minerva rolled her eyes and said yes to the request.

Blaise had nervously asked another boy to the ball. Both shy and nervous, but when they saw similar couples to theirs, they started dancing and laughing as happiness made them whole again. Meredith wasn't spotted by the Princess; she wasn't mad, she was just very confused, but nonetheless danced with her date.

Even the Professors were laughing and dancing as they enjoyed the night as it was. A couple of fairies danced with each other and the rest made sure everyone had enough to drink and snack.

The second dance finished and a third followed until Ella had to sit down as her feet ached from her heals. "Not as comfortable as Ananya promised.", she chuckled and took one off, rubbing her sore feet. Draco sat down on the chair beside hers with a small smile on his face, until he remembered and stole a look on the watch around his wrist.

Nearing midnight.

"Wanna go outside?", he suggested in a light voice. She looked at him, but still smiled and nodded. Her hand gripped his forearm as she stood up and then took her heels off. She touched them twice in quick motion and suddenly they shrank. She set them on the table and two butterflies were quick to take them away.

Draco offered her his arm and blushing, she took it as they sneaked out. The Princess wasn't allowed to do that back home, but since the ball was hers and her mother...Wasn't there, she could.

They found their way in the garden and almost instantly found the lake, which held so many memories. Her long, blue gown was slightly held back by her unoccupied hand, as they wordlessly walked towards the lake. The water was calm as the moonlight shone on it.

"Do we want to be reminded?", Draco slowly asked and led her close to the water. She looked at the water and then at her feet, before finding his eyes again.

"I don't see why not...", and with her last words, she placed a foot on the water and it immediately froze. She took Draco's hand and took another step again, creating the barrier from the water, so that he would walk too.

They reached the middle of the lake — it was now completely frozen — and silently hugged each other. After weeks of no connection, the last couple of days were overwhelming. Even when they didn't tell each other, they knew that the night where everything seemed perfect was going to be their last.

They didn't know when they would see each other again, but the hug created the promise they never knew they needed.

_____________

Welcome to chapter 42! I'm very happy to announce that we've reached +84k views. It's an incredible number and seeing it rise makes me slightly anxious, because I know that many have very high expectations and the fear of writing something grammatically wrong or generally not interesting, is quite high.

Though, I'm happy you enjoyed yesterday's little sneak peak — know, that I'll do this often. ♡

I love your comments and I love how everyone is appreciating the book covers in the first chapters. You're really lovely people. ♡

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please vote and comment. Stay healthy, be positive, meditate and eat good food. ♡

I love you,

— belle.

. . .

Published the 26th of September 2020