54 - The Lake's Waves

____________

— "PLEASE, ESCORT THIS   man out.", Ella had had enough of those empty words. The two knights that stood by the door walked towards the Duke and grabbed him by the arms.

"Don't touch me. I'm capable of walking out on my own.", the Duke hissed at the knight's actions and shook their hands off him. Ella stood up, watching him stand up and smooth his jacket.

He passed by Ella and looked at her, giving her a small, dirty smile. "Think about it, Your Highness.", the Duke walked out and the knights followed him.

"The meeting is concluded.", the Chancellor stood up from his seat and gathered all the parchment paper and feathers. The others stood up and walked away as well.

"Pardon me, Princess Ella. I had no idea that this is what would've happened—"

"You obviously had no idea, however next time you're thinking of inviting that... Gentleman, I'd like to be informed first.", the man bowed and muttered an apology.

The Princess walked out of the castle and headed to the gardens, knowing that the fresh air would've helped her think clearly.

She found a quiet place near the lake and sat down, picking at daisies and thin grass.

"Hello, my love. I heard about the disastrous meeting.", Draco sat down beside her and kissed her cheek.

"You have?", he nodded, looking at her.

"The Duke of Marseille. He was there and basically... Proposed to me.", Ella said out of breath, avoiding his eyes.

"He what?", he sat up, startling the Princess.

"He proposed. Asked me to marry him and let him rule the kingdom with me."

Ella felt his eyes on her.
"Oh, he'll hear it from me—", Draco was about to stand up, but Ella held his arm back.

"He's the Duke, Draco."

"And I'm a Malfoy."

"It's not the same and you know that. I also know better than to give in into his devilish words. I don't want to worry about it now, later.", Draco nodded and looked at the calm water, that started to turn grey. He looked up and noticed the sky turning darker as well.

"We should go inside, it's gonna start raining soon.", Ella looked up as well and nodded, waiting for him to stand up. He turned around facing her and smiled a little at the sight of her extended arms. Draco grasped her hands and swiftly pulled her up.

She smoothed her dress and hooked her arm with his. They started walking back, when they heard a sound of clogs against the hard ground.

"Sky?", Ella looked at the unicorn galloping from afar. Draco looked behind as well and raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Love how she's there only when she likes. This is why dogs are better.", Ella elbowed him and grasped her dress, so that she could reach her faster.

"Sky, baby.", the unicorn stopped in front of her and let Ella caress her snout. Despite the Princess' efforts on calming her down, Sky kept moving and then forcefully galloped away. She was headed towards the lake.