CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHTcar ride to ohio

CHAPTER EIGHT
car ride to ohio

rewritten

THE TENSION WAS THICK AS HARLOW VIOLET SAT IN THE CAR WITH DICK GRAYSON. harlow never felt like this, the urge to just kill dick grayson, but he did save her life. harlow fiddled with her rings, apparently a gas station blew up and dick didn't want to leave harlow alone with hank so the two went together.

"sorry about amy," harlow stated slowly, feeling bad for her ex, "it must suck." dick glanced over at harlow, his eyes on her lips but shook his head looking back at the road. harlow looked out of the window realizing he wasn't saying anything, "we both know how bad i am at smalltalk, so please just talk."

"thanks." dick replied, his hands grabbing the steering wheel tighter. he couldn't believe himself, the love of his life hated him and he couldn't even talk to her. "i barely even knew her, but she was cool... i guess." harlow glanced at him, her shoulders tensing as they made eye contact. "sorry."

"uh." harlow muttered, "yeah. its fine?" she rubbed her forehead before looking at her phone. she wanted to forgive dick, get back the memories they lost, but it wasn't simple. harlow violet could never love dick grayson again. "freddie's gay." a small chuckle escaped her lips seeing dick look over at her, "i saw how you looked at him. i'm not that dumb, i'm a profiler." 

"i didn't look at him odd." dick argued playfully, a small smile on his lips. "i was just making sure he was good for you." that was wrong, dick was jealous of the blonde, but now that harlow said that... that was ridiculous. harlow raised an eyebrow, "i guess he is? if he's gay then i mean... shit."

"its okay. i hook up with people left and right." harlow replied looking out of the window, "my longest person who i stayed with was 3 months... then he cheated and left." dick looked over at harlow, tears filling her eyes. she didn't say another thing, "if you found someone else, congrats. you deserve it."

dick shook his head, "i haven't." a small chuckle left his lips, "i couldn't bring myself to kiss someone that wasn't you." it was true, dick grayson hasn't been laid in 3 years (well..) every time he was closed to actually dating someone, he couldn't do it. all the memories would come back to him, harlows smile, her laugh, how she would play with his hair. everything came back to him.

"well. that must be nice." harlow replied with a frown, she could sense the regret, the anger, the sadness of the man. why? why would he still love her if he left her. "you and bruce? i saw that robin went to detroit. why not the bat?"

"i left him also." dick replied, "you saw how i acted in the warehouse. i was becoming like him." harlow watched as he didn't even look at her, "you and barry?"

"i left him after a fight. it was two weeks after you left, i fucked up a mission because i couldn't focus. i almost killed half of central city." harlow explained, tears filling her eyes, "i never was so angry when you left. it was like you fucking died, first i was in denial that you left me. i believed that you would come back, you would realize you left me behind." a tear slipped from her eye, "then it was anger, i broke half of the stuff in my apartment. i cut my hand all the time by throwing something on the floor.

after that was terrible. i literally begged for you to come back, i realized you got a new phone so i called your old one. all the time i went through 'what if' shit." harlow looked at dick who bit his lip hard, "then it was depression, then the obvious acceptance. now look at me." she let out a sad chuckle, "why did you leave grayson?"

dick turned to look at her, she choked back a sob as tears filled his eyes. he couldn't tell her, but he had to. "i can't tell.. y-you." dick whispered, making harlow scoff as she wiped her tears. "i promise, one day i will." 

☆════ ⋆★⋆ ════☆

HARLOW SAT IN DICKS PORSCHE AS HE RAN INTO THE GAS STATION. she shook her head at how vulnerable she was being, dick can't love her still. she can't love him still. the universe put them together, only to take them away breaking their hearts doing so. 

dick opened the door of the porsche, harlow put her phone down looking at freddie's messages. he was worried for harlow, but she didn't answer him. freddie didn't need to be worried for her, harlow was fine. well.

she zoned out while dick did whatever he was doing with the fancy technology he did, but when he found out where they were going his heart dropped. "no way." he whispered making harlow look at him. "shit."

then she looked at the place, her face dropped into a frown. "oh no."