39. The Game is On

Start from the beginning

Newt let out a frustrated sigh, but did not speak further.

"When do we leave?" I grumbled.

"In an hour. Get ready for the mission. You're dismissed." The three of us stood up and were about to leave the room, when Coin said, "Oh and miss (l/n), can we talk for a moment? Privately?"

I gestured for Newt and Finnick to go on without me, while I turned around and walked back to where Coin stood.

"Since Katniss has taken matters into her own hand, now more than ever, it is your time to keep an eye on her. Make sure she is in line and does not drag the name of district 13 through the mud. And do inform me at the earliest if you have even the slightest doubt of whether or not she has any ulterior motives. We don't need a rogue public figure to go on and become the ruler of Panem, only to have her burn it down."

I scoffed at the fact that she asked me to be a babysitter again. Looking at her with a frown, I whispered. "You want to be president after all this is over, don't you? And you're scared that she will take your place."

"Becoming president of a country such as Panem and successfully ruling in a democratic way is a difficult and herculean task." She said in a final tone, making sure her statement will be the one to be followed. "I just need to make sure that the power of being president falls into the right hands. Can I trust you on making sure that happens?"

I stayed silent for a moment. Was she trying to secure my vote if and when we do end up in a political feud as to who leads Panem? She should be more concerned about winning the war at the moment and not about what comes after. If she indeed was desperate to have that much power, then she is dangerous. Probably even more dangerous than Snow. And letting her reach that position would be disastrous.

I needed to choose my words carefully. Not really promise my alliance to her, but at the same time ensure that she still trusts me. "I'll keep an eye on her." I said, a neutral expression on my face. Before she could inquire further, I turned on my heels and left the room, wanting to keep as much distance from her as I could.

Upon reaching the living quarters, I found Annie silently crying in Finnick's arms, Newt standing a few feet away, a frown on his lips.

"I'll be back before you know it, my love." Finnick said, holding her tighter. "Newt will take care of you till then."

Annie pulled away from Finnick and nodded while wiping her tears away. "Okay. Promise me, you'll come back safe and sound?"

He smiled before placing a kiss on her forehead. "I promise."

Noticing my presence, Annie rushed forward and pulled me into a hug. "You too, (Y/n). Promise me you'll be careful and you'll stay safe."

"Pinky promise." I chuckled.

"(Y/n), a word?" Newt asked, his voice soft.

"Yeah, of course."

"We're going to the lounge." Finnick said and took Annie's hand in his, before pulling her away from the room.

The moment the door closed behind them, Newt walked forward and placed a hand on my cheek before bringing his lips down to mine. My eyes momentarily widened in surprise, before I closed them and wrapped my arms around his neck, deepening the kiss. His grip on my waist tightened as we poured out our emotions into the kiss. A few blissful moments later, we pulled away and rested out foreheads together, breathing heavily, lips parted.

"Don't do anything stupid out there that will get you killed, okay?"

"I won't. If it means that I can come back and get kisses like these, I wouldn't dream of dying."