19. Night Changes... into a Nightmare

"Good morning." I chirped as I walked into the Cresta's house the next morning. Newt and his mum, Clara were sitting on the couch, eating their breakfast. "I'm gonna get some food too." I declare, my stomach grumbling with hunger.

"In the kitchen darling," Clara said and I literally ran to the kitchen to satisfy my hungry tummy. Grabbing a plate for myself, I began buttering a slice of bread when a pair of arms snaked around my waist. I blushed when Newt pulled me into a hug from behind, resting his chin on my shoulder.

"Hey." He whispered.

"Hi." I whisper back. I turn my body around to give him a soft kiss on his lips and turned back, continuing to butter the bread, a small smile playing on my lips. He grinned before kissing my neck. Shivers went down my spine as he continued to place whispers of kisses along my neck, just slightly brushing his lips against my skin.

"Uh, since when did this happen?"

We simultaneously snapped our heads towards the voice to find Clara, with a smirk ghosting her lips, and Annie, her eyes slightly wide but a smile on her face.

"Oh God." Newt said while I let out a small giggle. "Last night" he replied sheepishly.

"Took you long enough," Clara said, "Hurry up now, tomorrow's the reaping for the quarter quell! Our president is probably going to announce what's going to be new this year any moment!" With that she left the kitchen.

Annie still stared at us and I smiled before clearing my throat, "Let's get going shall we? Wouldn't want to miss the quarter quell!"
_________________________________________

"....we celebrate the third quarter quell."

"What did I miss?" Finnick asked, entering the room where all of us were anxiously sitting, waiting for Snow to declare the theme for the 75th hunger games.

"Nothing other than the fact that (Y/n) and I kissed." Newt said out of the blue, causing me to blush and swat his arm lightly.

Finnick's eyes widened before he regained his composure, "Finally got the guts to kiss (Y/n/n) eh, Newt?" He said, smirking.

"Actually, I was the one who kissed him." I reply, "Poor Newt was too scared to do it first."

"Oi, it was gonna happen eventually..." Newt said.

"Shh!" Annie exclaimed, "He is gonna tell us now!"

"Calm down, dont get your knickers in a twist!" Newt said with a grin, After which we all looked at the screen, waiting for Snow to speak.

"..on this 3rd quarter quell games.... the Male.... and the female tributes.... are to be reaped from the existing pool of Victors in each district."

Silence. That was all that was heard at the Cresta's house for many moments. Annie buried her face in her mother's shoulders and began to sob. I let out a whimper. Newt's face had paled. He looked close to crying, but held himself strong for the moment. Finnick meanwhile, stormed out of the house and slammed the door shut behind him. I immediately rushed out, not caring about a thing except for my best friend and followed him to ensure he doesnt hurt anyone, including himself.

"Finnick, stop!" I shouted across the street, Finnick turned back for a moment before resuming his fast pace. I ran up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder, finally stopping him. "Listen to me."

"Just because of that stupid girl who couldn't keep her mouth shut, all of us are in this mess!" He practically growled. "Two out of five of the victors left in district 4 are going to die. And one of them is either Newt or me."