16. Fleur De Lis

The citizens of the Capitol were cheering for us on the platform the moment the train doors opened. It was harder to get through the crowd and once we were outside, a group of peacekeepers escorted us to the president's palace. The same girl who gave me the bouquet of Dahlias, greeted us with a smile and escorted us to the room where we were staying for the evening.

It was noon when an Avox came into the room with a letter, folded into a scroll and tied together with a silky red satin ribbon and a small velvet box. I thanked her and she immediately left with a flushed face. Sitting down on the couch by the bed, I opened the letter, to find a sentence written in black ink.

A little gift to the victor of the 72nd hunger games, miss (Y/n) (l/n).

~Coriolanus Snow

I put the letter down next to me and opened the dark purple box to find a diamond studded brooch, in the shape of the fleur de lis. I ran my fingers over the expensive piece of jewelry with a frown, thinking of what it could mean.
_________________________________________

The purple gown with silver sparkles shone beautifully in the evening lights of the Capitol, the brooch pinned on the elegant material.

"You ready?" Newt asked as we walked towards the gates of the mansion, his hand in mine.

I nodded. The gates swung open and the both of us, followed by Dylan and Nat, stepped into the massive gardens that surrounded the mansion.

"(Y/n)!"

I snapped my head towards the sound and found 3 people standing by the enormous fountain that stood in the middle of the garden.

"Finnick! Mum! Dad!" I swiftly walk over and hug each one of them.

"How are you?" I ask my parents.

"We're doing good darling," replied my dad, who had a glass of champagne in his hand. "Every thing is going on well." I smiled.

"And what are you doing here?" I ask Finnick, who was busy trying to pry his hand away from a snobby Capitol lady.

He quickly mumbled something to the lady who turned beet red and stormed away from him. Smirking to himself, he turned to reply, "I couldn't miss the free food"

"Of course you wouldn't" Newt chuckled.

"You are expected inside sweetie, the president is about to give his speech in an hour. Let's go eat something." My mum informed me as she placed a hand on my shoulder and guided me into the mansion.
_________________________________________

The food was beyond amazing. And the dessert was the best. There was so much to eat and every single item of food was delicious. I was eating my 4th macaron when the head gamemaker, Seneca Crane, stood in front of me. I swallowed the last bite with a big gulp and gave a sheepish smile.

"President Snow wants to meet you." He said in a stiff tone.

"Sure, I'll just tell Newt-"

"No, I'm here to escort you alone." He cut me off.

I raised an eyebrow and with an uncertain voice I mumble, "okay..."

He walked towards one of the huge staircases and up to the first floor where there were less citizens and more peacekeepers. There was a huge door at the end of the corridor, made of mahogany and it had beautiful carvings on it. He knocked on the door and a moment later a snake like voice called out, "Come in"

The doors opened and we entered the room, my mouth dropped in awe at the beauty of it. President Snow was sitting on a posh red couch in the middle of the room. "Ah, miss (l/n), I see you are wearing the brooch. I've been wanting to talk to you. Please follow me."