29. Sweet Dreams

I sat beside Newt durning dinner that day. Katniss and Gale were seated a few tables over to our left. I was munching on a piece of carrot when the TV screen lit up to show the emblem of the Capitol, while playing its anthem. Caesar Flickerman's face came into view, his hair lavender in colour. "Hello, good evening and a big welcome to all in Panem." He greeted. "I'm Caesar Flickerman, and whoever you are, whatever it is you're doing, if you're working, put down your work. If you're having dinner, stop having dinner. Because you are going to want to witness this tonight."

Everyone's attention was now focused onto the screen. "There has been rampant speculation about what really happened in the Quarter Quell. And here to shed a little light on the subject for us is a very special guest. Please welcome Mr. Peeta Mellark."

I let out a small gasp and I turned around to see Newt with a confused expression on his face. Katniss looked shocked as she sat up straighter, her eyes glued onto Peeta. Although he was wearing a crisp white suit and a tie to match, his face was void of emotions. Katniss stood up slowly, her lips trembling, and walked over to the screen.

"Peeta, a lot of people feel as though they are in the dark." Flickerman continued.

"Yeah I know how they feel." He replied in a deep voice.

"Now, so set the stage for us. Talk us through what really happened on that final and controversial night."

"Well, first off, you have to understand that when you're in the games, you only get one wish. It's very costly."

I still couldn't process the fact that Peeta was alive, and from the looks of it, he was doing okay. But why did Snow decide to broadcast this?

"It costs more than your life. To murder innocent people, that costs everything that you are. So you hold onto that one wish. That night my wish was to save Katniss. I should've run off with her earlier in the day like she'd wanted." I glanced at Katniss, her eyes were teared up and the shock still on her face.

"But you didn't. Why? Were you caught up in Beetee's plan?" Caesar smirked. At that moment all I wanted was to wipe it off his face.

"No, I was caught up trying to play allies."

Why would Peeta say that? He told me in the arena that he considered me a friend. He even risked his life to save mine for heaven's sake!

"And they separated us, and that's when I lost her..."

Something was off. I might not have known Peeta for a long time, but knowing the boy who I trusted in the arena, I was sure that this wasn't him.

"And the whole force field around the arena just blew out."

"Yes, but Peeta, Katniss was the one who blew it out. You saw the footage." Caesar said.

"No, she didn't know what she was doing. Neither of us knew that there was a bigger plan going on. We had no idea."

"Well Peeta, there are many who find this suspicious to say the least. It seems as though she was part of a rebel plan."

"Do you think it was part of her plan to be almost killed by Johanna? Or part of the plan to be paralysed be lightning?" My fingers clenched around the spoon that I was holding. "We were not part of any rebel plan! We had no idea what was going on!" He raised his voice towards the end.

Caesar put his hands in front of him to calm Peeta down. "Alright, I believe you, Peeta Mellark. Thank you. And I was going to ask you to speak about the unrest but I think you might be too upset."

"No, I can." He replied, his voice carrying the slightest tone of hesitation.

"Are you sure?" Caesar questioned.