12. Midnight (not so good) Memories

I was tapping my foot on the floor of the hovercraft, anxiously waiting to reach home. I looked out of the window and saw the familiar oceans of district 4.

Newt grabbed my hand and squeezed it reassuringly. I smiled softly and looked forward as the hovercraft began till descend. My heart was hammering against my chest with the thought of seeing Finnick and Annie soon.

As the doors of the craft opened, I squinted to find my blond haired best friend. I immediately spotted him standing in the lobby with Annie holding his hand. I run towards him and he lifted me into a massive bear hug. I squeezed him back tightly as I was overwhelmed with happiness. He let go after a while and looked at me with a smile on his face. "I'm so glad you are here" he said with a chuckle. I smiled back, happy to see my best friend again. I looked at Annie who was standing there timidly. I walked up to her and hugged her.

She reciprocated the action and mumbled, "I missed you (y/n)."

"I missed you too Annie" I said. We exited the lobby to find the whole district waiting outside. As soon as I stepped into their view, massive cheers erupted and praises were thrown around. Even though I felt guilty of all the murders that I committed, I was glad to be back home. So very happy to be safe and sound. I made my way to the balcony where the camera was broadcasting everything live, and I waved towards the crowd. Newt was beside me the entire time and I couldn't be more thankful. All the little things he did, like guide be through a crowd with his hand on the small of my back, or how he politely asked those people who bugged me with questions during the feast to refrain from doing so, or just the way his eyes showed that light glint when they meet mine made me feel elated and joyful.

A few hours later, I was standing in front of my house, just staring at the front door. Newt and the others went back to their respective houses after the feast. I got an uneasy feeling at the thought of being alone; afraid of someone killing me in my sleep. I walked into the house, stepping onto the thin layer of dust that accumulated from the time I was away. I go up to my bedroom and lay down on my bed. After getting used to the capitol's soft mattress, this bed felt uncomfortable. I closed my eyes, desperate to fall asleep.

I woke up from my sleep to find myself in an open grassland. I stretched my hand and I felt water beside me. I sat up and looked around and my heart was pounding with what I saw. I was back in the arena, the massive cornucopia stood there in the center. But what was worse was the people in the arena, looking exactly how they were before they died. Isabella, Jared and Ashton had a Purple, gooey substance oozing out of their mouths. I felt nauseous at the sight of them. A sound from behind made me snap my head towards the source. The first person I ever killed, the girl from district 5, blood on her shirt, with an arrow pierced through her back, stood there looking at me with cold eyes. I let out a whimper, and turned around again. All the people I killed were standing in the island of the cornucopia, with no movement what so ever, just staring up at me. Then I looked towards the water and my eyes filled with tears. Stephanie, my ally, was struggling to breathe with the arrow through her stomach. More blood surrounded her and I immediately rushed to her side.

"You could have saved me (y/n)." she said in a somewhat calm voice, despite her contradictory state. "Yet you decided to let me die. I saved you on the first day and you don't repay the favor." I shook my head while the tears streamed down my face.

"No, no, no, no, NO! NO! I TRIED! I TRIED STEPH!" I sobbed into my hand.

"You didn't try hard enough. You are a betrayer." She said with a cold voice.

"I'M SORRY! PLEASE! STEPH!" I screamed with desperation.

My throat was parched as I sat up on my bed, awoken by the shaking of a pair of strong arms. "(y/n) calm down, it's alright. It's just a nightmare (y/n/n). It is over now", the person cooed. The arms wrapped around my shoulders and pulled me into a hug, rubbing my back soothingly. I looked up to see green eyes, in the evening light, staring back down at me. Finnick.