The day it all changed: Finnick Odair

*The eve of the 65th Hunger games*

*7 years ago*

The strong smell of salt hit my nose as I ran towards the sea. The sand between my toes and the soft sounds of the waves made me feel happy despite the events that tomorrow held.

"(Y/n)! wait up!" the familiar, thickly accented voice of Newt, one of my best friends, called out.

"Not my fault that you are slow!" I retorted. As soon as I hit the waters of District 4, I felt joyful. I was happy that I was born in this district. I loved the sea. I got into the water and swam towards the small island that Finnick, my other best friend, Newt and I had discovered. The 2 boys reached as soon as I got out of the water.

"You are seriously fast." Finnick chuckled, his blonde hair falling over his sea green eyes in wet strands. At 14 years of age, he was pretty strong and loved the waters like me. Newt, also the same age as Finnick, didn't like the seas as much. He was into snares and traps instead. The number of times he would prank us with small traps and snares were countless.

"Yeah, but not that intelligent." Newt smirked, flipping his dirty blonde hair over his forehead. I glared at him playfully, admiring his chocolate brown eyes that held amusement.

We sat down on the beach and stared into the sunset. All of us thinking of the same thing. The reaping for the 65th hunger games.

"Are you nervous Finnick?" Newt asked in a whisper. Finnick replied with a small nod. "I am too, mate."

"You guys don't have to be. Your names will not be picked." I tried to be optimistic, but deep inside I knew that there was a chance for one of them to be reaped.

"Easy for you to say (y/n). You are just 11. Your name is not even in the bowl." Finnick said.

"Just trying to be positive, dumbo." I replied glumly.

"Finnick, I need you to promise me something," Newt said out of the blue. "If my name is drawn out, promise me, you will not volunteer." He looked up at Finnick with pained eyes.

"Only if you promise me the same." Finnick stated.

"Deal" Newt said somberly. After minutes of silence, which I couldn't handle, he continued, "Let's get going guys, we have a long day tomorrow". We got up and swam back to the mainland. Finnick and I said our goodbyes to Newt as we made our way to the victor's village. My parents were both victors, having won the 40th and 42nd games. Newt lived in a small cottage with his mom, Clara and younger sister, Annie. She was a year older than me and had flaming red hair which she inherited from her father. When they were eight, Newt's father and Finnick's parents were killed during a fishing trip beyond the reef. Finnick lived with an old victor, Mags ever since.

We reached the village and bid adieu until the next day. That night I couldn't sleep properly as I was scared for my two friends who might get reaped for games tomorrow.

The next morning, I quickly got dressed for the reaping. My parents worked in the capitol and left me the house. They sent money every month and occasionally a few gifts. I ran over to Newt's house as I knew both him and Finnick would be there. I was greeted with massive hugs from both Clara and Annie. Finnick and Newt were sitting in his room and were murmuring something amongst themselves and as soon as I entered, they stopped talking and nearly jumped out of bed.

Startled, Newt stuttered, "(y/n)! yo-you are here! Then let's get going shall we?" he gave a panicked glance to Finnick.

I mumbled a quick 'okay' still confused with their behavior. The three of us made our way to the hall where Annie was getting ready for her first reaping. Her mom looked sad as she braided Annie's red hair.