2. Fancy People, Fancy Dresses

The next day I woke up and made my way to the dining area for breakfast. The only occupant in the entire room was Natasha. Although she dressed like a true Capitol snob, her personality was a contradiction. She was a very friendly person, easy to talk to. A kind smile always laced her lips and her blue eyes twinkled with warmth.

"Are you excited to meet your prep team, dear?" She asked me as I filled my plate up.

"I guess. I'm more excited to eat food right now." I said before taking a bite out of my meal. "Hey Nat, Is this your first year as an escort?" I enquired after a while.

"Yes, that's true."

"Why did you wanna be one?"

"I chose to become an escort as I really wanted to help someone get through the games." She finished while giving a small smile.

At that moment, Newt and Chad entered the room and grabbed their plates and sat down with us. "We will be reaching the capitol in another hour. Get ready to meet your prep teams and stylists." Newt said.

I was a bit nervous to meet my stylist. I wish they wouldn't be the type to completely change my appearance or dress me up in the most bizarre costumes.

An hour later we reached the capitol. We were looking through the train windows and found so many people at the station wearing peculiar dresses. They had wigs of all colours and clothes of all fashion. We got down from the train and a wave of nervousness washed over me. Newt took my hand in his and gave a reassuring smile. I gave a smile back and we started walking. Peacekeepers escorted us to a large building where, I guess, we would be meeting our prep team. There were 24 rooms in total, one for each tribute. I go into my assigned room to find 3 people sitting there, 2 men and a lady.

They immediately stood up at the sight of me and the lady squealed before giving me a hug. She had dark green eyes and bright green hair. She wore a daring orange frock with frills. Typical Capitol woman. She pulled back and said, "You must be (Y/n). I am Annora. I shall be dealing with your nails." She held my palms in her hands and examined my fingers with a frown. "Oh my, we have our work cut out for us!"

Then one of the guys pushed her away and stood in front of me. He had electric blue eyes and dark purple hair. He wore purple lipstick and a purple suit. I guess he loved purple. "I am Zenith, your hair stylist. I think you have lovely hair." That comment made me blush. I mumbled a 'thanks' before looking down at my feet.

The other guy had navy blue hair which complimented his eyes. He was the most jovial out of those three. "Hey (Y/n)! My name is Xavier. I shall be the one to correct your flaws and get you perfect for the games! You must know you are really beautiful and we won't have to work on you a lot." I really thought they were lying. I never considered myself beautiful. Just a girl who loved the seas. I smiled at him in gratitude. "Now let's get you cleaned before you meet your stylist."

After a lot of waxing and applying different lotions and creams, they finally thought I was presentable. They asked me to wait in a small room with only my robe on. After a few minutes, a young man with black hair and brown eyes walked in. he wore a blacks suit and black eyeliner. He looked very simple for a stylist.

"Hi (Y/n), I'm Dylan, your stylist." He greeted. A million thoughts ran inside my head and like the blithering idiot I was, I blurted it out.

"Aren't you dressed a bit simple to be a stylist? Are you new?" I mentally smacked my face.

He chuckled before saying, "No, I'm not new. I am a very renowned stylist in fact, but it is my first time for district 4. I just don't like dressing up." He then walked towards me and spoke, "Now let us see what I can do for your style"

"Please don't make me look like a clown" I said and again mentally face palmed for saying something stupid.

"Don't worry, I'll keep it simple yet beautiful" he said, chuckling again. He had that kind of fun vibe around him. As though we wouldn't have to be professional with each other all the time. I could say we would be great friends.

"I'm going to help you make an impression at the tribute parade tonight to get sponsors." He said. "For that you need to be remembered. I'm not going to dress you up into a walking doll." I smiled genuinely at the fact that I would not look like a clown. "You come for district 4, so the theme is water. I don't want to dress you up as a fish like they do every year. I'm planning on a dress that flows like water. A shade of turquoise that blends into blue. What do you think?"

"I think that would look pretty" I said with a smile.

____________________________________________________

The tribute parade was about to begin. Last minute preparations were going on. Stylists and prep teams of various tributes were running around dolling them up. Every tribute wore a costume that represented their district, like, district 3 was for technology, 5 for power, 7 for lumber etc. Since ours was fishing, Dylan and Maryanne, Chad's stylist, decided to use the sea theme and dressed us up in blue. Chad didn't wear a shirt, but had a sea blue cape around his neck with a pants of the same color.

The dress I wore was a beautiful turquoise gown that, when I moved, looked like flowing water in the shade of sea blue. It was magnificent. Make up was amazingly little, blue-green eye shadow, blush and lip gloss, perfected thanks to Xavier. The both of us wore coral and sea shell crowns studded with pearls. I absolutely loved the costume. It was simple yet very pretty.

Newt came to wish us luck. As soon as his eyes landed on me, he looked awestruck. "Yo-you look beautiful, (Y/n)" he stuttered. I blushed at the compliment and mumbled a thank you. "Um, best of luck you both. I'll be with the sponsors, trying to win them over." He gave a small smile towards the both of us. "Dylan and Maryanne did a wonderful job." With that he walked away towards the stands.

The chariots were in place and we were asked to get in them. Ours was the 4th chariot. Then the first chariot, of district 1, started moving. That's when the nerves kicked in. Chad noticed and gave a reassuring smile before saying "Don't worry (Y/n). It will be alright." I smiled back at him and looked forward as our chariot began to move.

Cheers and applauses were heard as soon as we entered the city circle. The crowd threw roses and other flowers at us. A huge smile stuck onto my face throughout the ride. I looked up to the huge screens and saw myself. I looked magnificent, all thanks to Dylan and the prep team. My dress and Chad's cape were literally like the waves back at home. It was a good change for our district for once. Once we circles the massive fountain, we stopped in front of the president's mansion.

Coriolanus Snow was the president of Panem. A cunning man who rose to power at a very young age. He always had a white rose with him everywhere he went. And there he stood; ready to give a speech to the citizens of Panem. "Welcome!" he spoke into the mic. "Tributes, we welcome you and we wish you Happy Hunger games." I scoffed at that. "May the odds be ever in your favor!"

After the parade, Nat took us to the tribute center. Each floor of the centre was for each district. So the whole of 4th floor was for us. As soon as we entered, I was staring at the place in awe. To say it was enormous was an understatement. There were huge walls made of glass so we could have a view of the entire city. My room was incredible. It was 4 times bigger than my room on the train. The bathroom was so elegant and the bed was so soft.

At dinner, Newt was telling us important stuff for the training session tomorrow. "Show off your talents tomorrow. You want the other careers to have you in their pack. But don't forget to learn the little things also, like how to start a fire or to identify plants. They could keep you alive. Never show your weakness or they will target you specifically since you made an impression at the parade. You have quite a lot of sponsors lined up for you." He said and nodded towards me. I was suddenly nervous due to the fact that tomorrow I'd be meeting the other tributes. I wished everyone a good night and left to my room. Newt followed behind and closed the door as he entered. "Hey are you alright?" He asked, concerned.

"Yeah, just nervous." I replied looking down. He came up behind me and hugged me from the back and placed a kiss on my shoulder. Butterflies went wild in my stomach and he mumbled against the crook of my neck, "You have nothing to be nervous about, (y/n). You will do wonderful tomorrow. Just be at the middle of the career pack. Don't be the leader or the underdog and then you'll be fine, love." He turned me around and said, "Now go to sleep, you have a long day tomorrow." With that he exited the room, leaving me to be a blushing mess.