10. It All Happened Very Quickly

The perks of having a good mentor and lots of sponsors was that you could wish for anything and you would get them. I took a berry and plopped it in my mouth and the sweet fruit was delightful. I spotted the night locks and went over to them and took out my medicine container from my backpack. After giving the container a rinse with a little water, I picked the nightlocks and put them into in, careful not to eat it. And that is then when I heard Isabella's annoying shrill voice echo through the woods. I immediately hid the nightlocks, but didn't have time to put the blueberries in.

"Where did you run of to? And you found food? You couldn't call for me?" She asked as she eyes the box of blueberries.

"Relax, after I lost the rabbit I spotted this and decided to collect it and bring it back to the cornucopia." I told smoothly.

"Are you sure they aren't poisonous?" She asked.

"Yup" and to prove it I plopped a blueberry into my mouth. "Let's go back to camp and share."

"Or we can eat it here and lie to the boys that we haven't found anything. We could be well fed and they can starve." She suggested.

"Are you kidding me? They are our personal body guards. If we let them starve, we will be vulnerable." I told her in a 'duh' tone.

"You are right. Let's go back!" She said excitedly. And as we walked through the forst, my stomach was giddy with anticipation. I mentally prepared myself, for my plan was about to be put into action.
_

_______________________________________________

My heart was racing as we came closer to the cornucopia. When Isabella jumped into the water, I took a handful of the blueberries and put them in my pocket and closed the zipper so it remains dry. I switched the box with the nightlocks and swam across the river.

I saw Jared and Ashton by the fire and they were sitting there looking grumpy.

"Please tell me you have food. Anything would do! I'm starving!." Ashton asked with desperation. Jared nodded with a pleasing expression.

"Fortunately for you, I do!" I pulled out the box if nightlocks and gave It to them. "It isnt poisonous. Ask Bella if you want" i lied.

She simply nodded in response before grabbing a handful of berries. I clutched the blueberries in my hand and put it in my mouth. The three of them also put the deadly ones in their mouth and started chewing on them. I was becoming nauseous with anxiety and I calmed myself down. You'll be home soon.

And then they began to cough. Horribly. Jared held his neck with his hands and Ashton pounded his chest as his eyes went wide. Isabella's eyes rolled to the back of her head and she fell down, with the purple liquid oozing down her lips.

Bang. The cannon blasted signalling her death.

Ashton's head hit the ground and another blast was heard.

Jared seemed to be in utmost pain as his eyes went red and his lips dry. He seemed to be trying to say something but he didn't get to because the same purple liquid spurted out of his mouth and his head hit the floor. Another blast.

I just killed the careers. All of them. Oh God. Why am I not feeling guilty?

But all my thoughts were stopped when suddenly, I could hear water. Gushing, roaring water. The sky became cloudy, giving a gloomy effect all over the arena. A grey showdown.

Were the gamemakers going to repeat what they did in the 70th games? Won't that be joyful.

I thought of jumping into the water like Annie did last time, but the two remaining tributes, the girl from 3 and boy from 6 came running from different directions towards the cornucopia, water coming in huge waved behind them throught the forest. I grabbed my bow and aimed an arrow at the girl. I let the arrow fly and it hit her in the chest, and it went right through her heart. Bang.

Just the boy was left now. He already crossed the water and the waves from the forests seemed to stop right by the island by an invisible shield.

The both of us stood there, breathing heavily and staring into each other's eyes. He was bulky and I knew I had no chance of beating him in a hand to hand combat. I grabbed an arrow and released it at him, but he narrowly escaped. I tried to reach for another one, but I couldn't grab anything. Looking at my shoulder, i saw that the quiver was empty.

You have got to be kidding me.

His eyes had sort of a menacing look and he smirked. "Run out of arrows eh? Well this should be fun." I threw my bow and quiver down and ran for the water. As I came closer, I notice it had sort of a greenish tint to it. I touched the surface of the water and pulled back immediately with a hiss.

It wasn't water, it was acid. My hands stung, but I knew I needed to act fast for I could hear the boy running behind me. I reached for my dagger in my belt and grabbed the cool handle, waiting for the perfect moment.

He was about to lunge at me from behind when I rolled over and I swung my dagger and stabbed him in the stomach. His eyes widened and I pushed him with all my might into the acid. He screamed so loudly as the acid began to burn him. He looked at me but all I could do was turn away and run to cornucopia. I reached the structure and leaned against the walls as I struggle to catch my breath, trying not to faint. The boy from district 6 was still screaming but I did not dare to look. Then it stopped. Silence lingered through the air and the final blast of the cannon was heard.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the winner of the 72nd hunger games, (Y/n) (l/n)!" Claudius templesmith's voice magnified across the arena and I was never this relieved to hear his voice.

I closed my eyes and let out a deep and shaky breath. I didn't knew what to feel at all. Should I feel happy that I survived? Should I feel guilty that I killed so many people? Should I feel angry?

Two hovercrafts came into view. One of the landed a few feet away from me and a few peacekeepers marched into the arena towards me. "Ms (Y/n), we are here to take you home." One of them said. I nodded numbly as I tried to walk towards the hovercraft. But due to the exhaustion, all mentally, physically and emotionally, I fell down and for once, I let the darkness consume me.
_________________________________________________

I woke In the hovercraft due to the rumbling of the engines. A nurse was cleaning my wounds and I winced as the liquid stung the cut below my elbow.

"The salve that you applied is very rare, must have got a lot of sponsors to chip in" she said with a smile. I sat up slowly and she helped me up. "You will reach the Capitol in around 20 minutes. I'll wrap your wounds up till then" she proceeded to tidy my cut when I examined my left hand, that one that I put in the acid. There was a lot of burn marks but the medicine that was applied on it, reduced the burning feeling immensely. After she was done, I thanked her and she left with a smile.

The hovercraft touched down onto the Capitol grounds and I was escorted out into the cool lobby. "Your friends and family await for you behind that door." A peacekeeper gestured to a white door at the end of the lobby. I nodded and prepared myself to meet the people I cared for. Newt, Natasha, Dylan and my prep team. Wanting to hear the rich British accent of the person I loved, I opened the doors with my hands trembling. The bright light momentarily blinded me, but I managed to catch a glimpse of the person who rushed towards me and engulfed me in a hug.

"(Y/n) darling!" The voice that I hadn't heard for so long exclaimed.

"Mum?"