41. You Know It All, You're My Best Friend

I was 4 years old when my mum and dad first moved to the Capitol. They were good friends with Finnick's parents, and so they dropped me off at the Odair's for months together, coming back home to occasionally check up on me. When the horrible disaster of the fishing boat took place the following year, Finnick and I, still too young to understand the terrors of the real world, were left with a fully furnished house but an empty home. Mags raised us like we were her own grandchildren. We grew up together. We met the Cresta family a little while later, and despite the fact that Finn and I were inseparable, we included Newt and Annie into our little group and played and laughed together, all day, everyday. Then the games happened. Finnick was thrown around by the Capitol as a sex slave and he let them do it in order to protect us, to protect me.

I was 12 years old when Newt was taken into the games and Finnick held me all day and night as I cried, hoping the British accented boy would make it back.

I was 14 years old when we were playing by a small cliff when I tripped and nearly fell, and would have fallen into the ocean if Finnick hadn't yanked me by my collar and pulled me to safety. We made a deal that he wouldn't tell Newt about my carelessness (I would've gotten an earful of scoldings from the protective, brown eyed boy if he had), in exchange for me baking him a loaf of district 4's signature bread.

I never noticed how he would always pretend to not like chocolates, only to give me his share, making me giddy with joy.

I was 18 years old when I was selected as a tribute. It was Finnick who advised Newt how to pick the right sponsors for my games. It was Finnick who comforted me when I had nightmares for the first few weeks I was back home. It was him who reminded me that he was my family after Snow killed my parents.

But now I watched with horror as the mutts closed in on him and he was outnumbered with only a small knife as a weapon. A knife that I gave him, just in case something went wrong, like for this very situation. It was the same knife I carried with me through both my Games.

Beside me, the once calm and collected Newt was panicking. His breathing was heavy, eyes wide and mouth agape as he muttered incoherently. I could only make out words like 'Annie', 'He can't die', 'For her', 'For them'

"Newt!" I exclaimed, his attention snapping back to me.

He grabbed my vest with shaky hands and said, "(Y/n), we can't let him die. She needs him! They need him!"

"Who's they?!" I nearly yelled, frustrated. We had no time for this. Katniss's eyes darted between the two of us and Finnick who was now cornered against the ladder as he tried to climb but the mutts kept pulling him back.

"ANNIE'S PREGNANT!" He yelled suddenly.

For a second, the world went still. I tore my gaze away from Newt and looked down at Finnick as he struggled against the mutts who had him pinned down. He screamed in pain. I didn't want him to be in pain. I couldn't handle it.

He was 24 years old when we were put together in the arena for the Quarter Quell, and if it wasn't for the rebels' plan of breaking out, he would've done everything in his power to make sure I made it out alive. Even if it meant sacrificing his life for me.

Only a few weeks back he got married to the woman he was in love with. He had just turned 25 and he still needed to live his life. And now he was going to have a baby.

Newt had tears streaming down his cheeks. "We can't let Finnick die, he is going to be a father-"

I didn't wait for another second as I turned around, pulled out my gun and aimed. Precision. That's what I excelled at. Boggs said so himself. I had 7 bullets left and I used each one of them to kill the mutts that were directly over Finn. He was now fully pulled into the water, his arms flailing above the surface.