18. End of the Day

"You alright?" I asked, leaning on the door frame, looking at Newt who had a small frown on his face. His attempt to tie a bow tie, miserably failed. I laughed while walking over to him and tied it into a perfect bow. "Much better," I said, straightening his suit's collar. "Now you look presentable to attend a party." I grin.

"I could've done it on my own," he said, pouting. My eyes trailed down to his lips, with a feeling of sudden urge to kiss him. Shaking my head a little, I stepped away from him. Clearing his throat, Newt looked down at his feet before saying, "Let's get going, shall we?"

I smiled and a gave a small nod. The both of us left the room and headed towards the president's palace, where the engagement party of Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark was being held.
_________________________________________

"Wanna dance?" Newt asked while standing up from the table we sat at. I was in the middle of eating a cupcake when he did, so with a frosting- filled mouth I mumbled incoherently, "Sure!". He chuckled as I gulped the cupcake down, wiping my mouth with a napkin. We went towards the side of the dance floor and I wrapped my hands around his neck and he placed his on my hips. Starting into those chocolate brown orbs, my heart started beating erratically at the little distance between us.

"Did I mention you look beautiful?" He whispered, looking right back into my own eyes. I blushed while swatting his shoulder.

"Shut up, Newt."

"Well, I'm not lying." He said, pulling me just a little bit closer. "What if we ran away? Right now? From everyone?" He questioned. My eyes widened as I was rendered speechless. "I wouldn't give a damn about what Snow thinks you know?"

That moment, I felt someone tap my shoulder. Newt's eyes flickered to the person behind me and clenched his jaw in frustration.

I closed my eyes and bit my lip. I turned around, letting my hands fall from his shoulder.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I need to talk to you." Said a man. He looked like he was in his late 40's.

"Uh, who are you?" Newt asked, instinctively holding my hand.

"Plutarch Heavensbee. Head game maker."

"What about Crane?"

"Dead. I'm his replacement. Anyway, miss (Y/n), how about we dance while we talk?"

Newt was about to protest, but I squeezed his hand in reassurance and told, "Hey, it's alright. I'll be back in a moment."

He sighed and let go while replying with an 'Alright'. Plutarch Heavensbee offered me his hand, which I reluctantly took and the two of us made our way to the middle of the hall. Keeping a reasonable amount of distance, we danced.

"Miss (Y/n), I have reason to believe that you dont like our president."

"No shit, he killed my parents" I snapped.

"Yes, I'm truly sorry for that." He said while looking down. "I knew them quite well, they were good friends of mine. Anyway, we have very limited time and I need to know whether you will help us. To bring Snow down." I frowned in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Katniss Everdeen. She started a spark among the districts when she pulled those berries out. A spark that could turn into a rebellion. A spark that could destroy the Capitol. It could only happen if we have public figures, people who the citizens of Panem love, and Katniss will play an important role in it, so will you and your fellow victors. Especially with the coming events. Are you in?"

Without a moment of hesitation, I said with certainty, "Yes. Anything to make sure Snow gets what he deserves."

With a grin, Plutarch said, "Very well then, I'll tell you all the details soon. Just look out for the mocking bird."