13. Shut up?

That night I couldn't sleep at all. Feeling restless and uncomfortable in my bed, I was thinking about the conversation that the three of us had. 'When will all this get over' I thought miserably to myself as I waited for the night to end. The eerie atmosphere of the room didn't help either, for I knew that even if I fell asleep, I would be woken up abruptly by another nightmare.

Nothing much had happened the following week after I got to know the secret. Finnick had gone back to the Capitol and returned after a few days looking worn out as ever. Yet he still put up a facade and cared deeply for Annie. 2 years post the incident that made her mind go into an abyss of craziness, she was doing alright. The both of us spent a lot of time together, doing everything two friends would do. She was happy. Maybe the traumatic incident prevented her mind from realizing the bitter reality, but atleast she was happy.

It was two weeks before the victory tour, when a peacekeeper knocked on the door to Newt's house while the lot of us were having lunch. I opened the door when the man in the white uniform said in a gruff voice, "We need Newt Cresta."

"Okay..." I said hesitantly, my eyebrows furrowed with confusion. I went to the dining area and looked at Newt who was busy hogging down a plate of food. "Newt, a peacekeeper is asking for you. I don't know why." I said.

"Oh, okay." I followed Newt as he made his way to the front door, where the peacekeeper stood waiting. "What can I help you with?" He asked him with a hint of politeness. He is so kind and polite to every single person, despite it being a peacekeeper, and it is one of the main reasons why I like him so much.

"Gamemaker Dilphas Doggaroy and president Snow require you at the Capitol. We are to be leaving now" he replied.

"What? No! You can't go-" I started rambling but Newt shused me.

"It will be fine, love." He placed a hand on my shoulder and whispered so that only the two of us could hear, "You know they can't do anything to me"

I sigh and mumble, "Alright, come back soon okay?"

He smiled and said, "Of course." He leaned down and placed a lingering kiss on my forehead and took a deep breath before pulling away and going with the peacekeeper without another word. I stood there for a long time before going back inside, wishing that nothing bad would happen to Newt.

Newt came back a week later. Finnick and I were both in his house, when he walked in with tired eyes. I jumped out of my chair and went towards him with a concerned expression. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, just a lot of work." He mumbled.

"What happened?" Finnick asked from behind me as Newt settled himself on the couch.

"The designing of the 73rd games." He said. "Doggaroy was out of fresh ideas and was struggling to make the year's games more interesting. But it didn't satisfy Snow, so he took him off the job. Snow personally asked me to become head gamemaker, but I refused. He didn't force me at all though, and that's what scares me." He looked down at his hands. Instinct took over all of my sanity and without a second thought, I placed my hand on his. He smiled a little and I smiled back. Finnick was watching us back and forth, before rolling his eyes and shaking his head with a knowing smirk.

"Who is the new gamemaker?" He asked.

"A bloke name Seneca Crane. He was supposed to be the gamemaker last year, but Doggaroy begged for another year. It usually takes around 2-3 years to set up an arena and on such short notice, I dont think Crane would be able to design a game that would be entertaining enough. I had to help him with the planning, but with the victory tour coming up, and being your mentor, Snow sent me back home early."