30. Say Cheese for the Cameras

#blacklivesmatter #translivesmatter
____________________________________________________

"Okay. Bring up the lights." Plutarch said upon entering the control room. Newt and I were sat on the far left side of a table in the room, while on the other side of the wall, Katniss was shooting a propo for the rebellion. We were watching her through the window as final touches of accessories and make up was going on. "Perfect. Absolutely perfect." He said once Effie Trinket placed a mockingjay pin on the strap of Katniss's sleeve. She scurried away and stood behind the fans, giving us a clear view of Katniss. "Let's bring up the settings."

The background of the stage turned into a sunset scene, smoke and dust looming in clouds above as piles of rubble scattered on the ground. It looked as through Katniss was standing on a rock, while the rebels stood below, looking up at her.

On Plutarch's command, the fans started to rotate, giving the effect of wind blowing.

"Okay, Katniss, we're going to start you down on one knee. And as you rise up, you're going to hold your flag in the air and deliver your line." She nodded in reply. "And remember, you've just stormed the outskirts of the Capitol, arm in arm with your brothers and sisters."

"Okay." She said before kneeling down on one knee. She looked forward and stood up. Raising a rod, which represented the flag, she said, "People of Panem, we fight, we dare, we..." She stopped.

I stopped myself from smacking my face. "Does she know the line?" Newt asked.

"I know, I got it. I'm sorry." She said before kneeling down again.

"She's warming up." Effie said.

"Alright. With energy. Go."

This time, in a louder yet unenthusiastic voice, Katniss spoke, "People of Panem, we fight! We dare to end this hunger for justice!"

I buried my face in my palms as I cringed. I looked up to see Newt, his lips turned down in a frown.

"You've just been in battle!" Plutarch bursted out. He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Excuse my outburst. You've just been in battle." He enunciated the last line with clarity. "Let's try it again. Whenever you're ready."

She tried once more, and this time, even her escort had an expression of distaste on her face. Plutarch let out a sigh and I winced as I realized that this was hopeless.

"This is an utter waste of time." Newt muttered.

Slow, mocking claps were heard as Haymitch Abernathy entered the filming area. "And that my friend, is how a revolution dies." He walked over and came to a stop beside Effie. "Hello, Katniss."

He was met with a cold stare in reply.

"Is this how you greet an old friend?" He asked before he blew his nose on a napkin, rather loudly.

"Maybe I don't recognize you sober." She retorted.

"I guess it looks as bad it feels." He mumbled.
____________________________________________________

We were sat around a conference table, watching the clip of Katniss's propo, with all the visual effects and sounds added to it. By the time it was over, I had to bite my lip in order to stop laughing. I glanced over at Katniss. She had an embarrassed look on her face as she sunk deep into her chair.

"Uh, Madam President," Haymitch said, breaking the awkward silence. He stood up and walked over to the big screen. "indulge me for a moment, if you would." He let out a sigh before continuing. "Let's everybody think of one incident where Katniss Everdeen genuinely moved you. Not where you were jealous of her hairstyle or her dress went up in flames or she made a halfway decent shot with an arrow. And not where Peeta made you like her. Now, I'd like you all to think of one moment where she made you feel something real."