3. Meeting the rest of the Prey

"Just remember to get the careers to like you both. They are the ticket to winning the games without killing a lot of people." Newt said as we were getting ready for the first day of the training. I was tying the lace of my shoes and eating a piece of roll at the same time as we were quite late. "(y/n) you have to show off your perfection at aiming at stuff, and Chad you should show off your strength. But don't forget survival skills. Trust me, they are bloody important." He finished in his thick British accent.

"Don't worry Newt," I said, giving him a small smile "we'll be fine"

He pulled me into a hug and I returned the gestured. "I know you'll do great, I just hate the capitol to put us all in this twisted mess" he mumbled against my neck. I pulled away and gave him a huge smile before mumbling that things will be alright.

Chad and I made our way to the training center. We were around 20 minutes late and because of that when we entered, everybody dropped what they were doing and stared at us. After a moment, they resumed training when a lady in her late twenties approached us. "Hello there! Thought you both were going to skip the training today" she said, while Chad and I gave her sheepish smiles. "I am Atala, head trainer. Before you guys came in, I just briefed the other tributes about each training section. There are four compulsory exercises, and then then rest will be individual training. My advice is don't ignore the survival skills. Everybody wants to grab a sword, but most of you will die from natural causes. 10% from infection, 20% from dehydration. Exposure can kill as easily as a knife. And one main rule is that no fighting with other tributes till you get into the arena. Got it?" We both gave a nod and she dismissed us.

The tributes from 1 walked over to us and nervousness already took over my mind.

"You must be (Y/n) and Chad. Quite an entrance you made at the parade." The male Blondie said. "I am Jared and this is Isabella." He nodded towards the other girl who was still smiling like an idiot since the reaping. "Now that we are done with the introductions, let us go to the weaponry. District 2 is waiting there for us." I gave a curt nod and started walking with them. As we made our way I saw many of the tributes practicing at various sections. The temptation to run away from the careers and go towards survival skills was very high. But I resisted the urge because without the Careers, I knew I was doomed.

Upon reaching the weaponry, the tributes from 2 introduced themselves. Ashton was like a lost puppy behind Jared, while Stephanie was actually quite nice. She was the only person in the career pack who actually seemed like a true ally.

"C'mon (Y/n), show us what you got" Isabella said while pointing towards a spear. I doubted if she would be able to lift that considering her petite frame. "Show us if you are actually worth all the attention." She smirked. That made me want to give a snarky comeback on her stupid words, but I just gave a fake smile and grabbed the spear and went towards the target. The rest of the pack dropped what they were doing and paid attention to see me. I aimed for the target and took a deep breath. I closed one eye and pulled the spear back and launched it. It hit a few centimeters away from the center. I frowned at my result. I looked towards Isabella who gave a simple shrug and said, "Guess you aren't worth it after all."

A spark of anger ignited through my body. I grabbed another spear and threw it with such a force that it not only hit the target dead center, but pierced through it completely and hit the wall behind. Her smirk was completely wiped out of her face and I gave a reply, "Guess I can.", with an innocent smile. I looked around and saw the entire lot of tributes staring at me with mixed emotions. Jared had an impressed look while Stephanie looked at me with awe.

"That was freaking cool!" Ashton said, breaking the silence. "You, (Y/n), are my new favorite person!"

I gave a small chuckle and said, "Aren't I flattered!" With that I took some daggers and threw them at the targets, each hitting the center perfectly. Isabella was fuming and stomped off.