14. Treenie and Eddie

I felt guilty. Guilty that I had a comfortable life at 4, while the people in 12 starved.

You could see it in their thin bodies and shallow faces that they don't get enough to eat. I walked through the street, Newt by my side, and I kept my head down somehow feeling ashamed that I had a full belly. We walk over to the district centre where the mayor was standing upon the little stage. "Welcome!" He greeted us, "District 12 is delighted with your presence here today miss (Y/n)."

"Thank you, sir" I said with a smile. A little girl about the age of 10 came up to me with a bouquet of flowers, a little withered but nonetheless beautiful. Her brown doe eyes looked up at me and she gave a shy smile. "Thank you so much, I really like your dress" I said, even though her dress was a simple grey frock. She blushed and mumbled a thanks in return before running down the stage to her mother.

"Citizens of 12, please give a warm greeting to the victor for this year's games, miss (Y/n) (l/n) from district 4! " The crowd clapped politely and that is when I noticed the family of the fallen tributes on a platform at the back of the district centre. "Miss (Y/n), would you like to come up and speak a few words?" I look towards Nat, who nodded and I walk up to the microphone, clutching the cards that she had scribbled upon for my speech the previous day. My hands were sweating and I desperately wanted to put the cards down, and so I did. I placed it by my feet and stood up and faced the crowd.

"Um Hello," I started not knowing what to speak at all. But I knew that to read from the cards would be a cowardly move. I took a deep breath and continued, "I wanted to say that I'm sorry. I really didn't want to...uh.. I didn't want to kill anyone, but I had to.. and the blood... of the tributes will always be on my hands. I seek forgiveness for the lives I have taken... from the families of the fallen tributes, and I-" I stop myself from saying anything further, realizing that the Capitol was watching. I couldn't say anything bad about Snow or the system, something which I was so close to doing. Terrible things have happened to those who have spoken against the Capitol. Instead I say, " and I'm eternally grateful to the Capitol for helping me cope up with everything." I couldn't stand lying another minute so I quickly said a thank you and got off the stage where Newt and Natasha were waiting.

"Why didn't you read from the cards?" She asked, walking along with me to the mayor's mansion.

"I couldn't" I reply, still feeling guilty for everything.

"It's alright, love. You did good." Newt said with a warm smile. I continued walking with my head bent down. A few peacekeepers escorted us into a room where they said that I could freshen up for the dinner that was held later that evening. I splashed water onto my face the moment I entered the small room, a little dusty from the lack of use.

I calmed myself down but the nagging feeling didn't escape my head. I can do something to help these poor people. But the fear of endangering my loved ones stopped me.

I changed into a simple dress that Dylan had laid out for me and my team completed the look with a little make up.
_________________________________________

A few hours later, we sat around the dining table in the mayor's house who had invited us to the feast. The mayor, his daughter and his wife were sweet people, who offered us a lot of food. I lost my appetite because of the situation right outside the house, where the people of 12 hungrily ate the little food they were given. I excused myself from the table, Newt giving me a concerned glance as I carried my plate, full of food, outside the room and towards the kitchen. I grabbed a piece of paper towel and covered the food with it.

I opened the back door and stepped out of the house, relishing the cold air outside. The backyard was filled with dead leaves and dry grass, little twigs scattered about the lawn. I made my way towards the crowd, hiding in the shadows. I saw a lady gently shushing a crying baby, about 2 years old, in her arms.