43. The Final Mission

I stood in front of the mirror, staring at the reflection. Every scar on my body told a story of what I had been through. Every curve and muscle defined who I was. I was imperfect in many ways but I admired the individual the mirror showed me. But sometimes I questioned the person who I was on the inside. A Victor? A victim? Maybe I was a killer. Or a hero. Definitely not a swimmer. Not anymore.

My shoulder felt stiff, still hurt a lot when I tried to move it suddenly. My ankle had healed, yet caused inconvenience when I jogged or ran. I had a freshly wrapped gauze around my knuckles. And now as I looked at myself dressed in a crisp white shirt tucked into a pair of blue pants, I wondered if I could ever go back to swimming like I used to.

The door to the dressing room opened and Newt walked in. We hadn't spoken after I stormed out of the meeting. It was only a few hours ago and I tried to avoid the inevitable consequences of my actions, even though in vain. I was not prepared to face my family's anger and look of betrayal for not voting 'No'.

Katniss has voted yes and Haymitch corresponded with her decision, which carried the vote forward, finalising the idea of conducting a Capitol Hunger Games.

It was to be announced to the country after Snow's execution, which was going to take place in less than an hour.

Newt stood a few steps behind me and his eyes flickered to the dagger I had placed on the dressing table, beside a long, black coat. Our eyes met in the reflection of the ornate mirror and he sighed. "Does leaving your vote to Katniss have anything to do with that?" He nodded towards the silver blade.

"Nah. The knife's just a precaution." I'm not sure if I believed myself.

"Okay." He knew me well enough not to accuse me of taking the wrong decision. He understood that I was onto something more, and he didn't question it. I didn't want him to. The less he knew, the better.

He moved forward and picked the dagger up, turning towards me and rotated the weapon in his hand a few times, admiring it. "Don't do anything stupid." A small smile tugged his lips as he pulled me closer, safely tucking the dagger into the hoop of my belt.

A grin threatened to break out on my face. "If I did, I'd hide the evidence."

"Something tells me that you're not going to be subtle." He laughed softly. He took the coat and helped my arms through the holes of the sleeves, fixing the collar before running his hands along my shoulder, smoothening it. The thick, black material hid the dagger effectively. Kissing the top of my head, he rested a palm on my cheek, his expression turning serious. "Please don't get into trouble, I almost lost you many times, I don't want it to happen for real."

"Don't worry, Newt." I smiled, brushing a stray lock of blond hair away from his forehead. "It's just a safety measure. A lot could go wrong during the execution, the rebels could act out and start getting violent or something. I just don't want to be defenceless."

"Alright, alright." He said, relieved, and ran his thumb over my bottom lip, before eventually placing a soft kiss on my mouth. "Finish getting ready soon. The victors have to walk across the grounds of the city circle first, we've got to take position to show we're by the mockingjay's side or something. I wasn't really listening when Plutarch blabbered away the details."

"I'll be there."

He left the room with one last kiss and closed the door behind him. Once I was alone, I let my smile drop. It was hard lying to him, but I'd do it if it meant he'd worry less.

*****

The city circle was packed with rebels, all of them thirsty for blood.

This was the same place the tributes of the games had to ride on chariots for the parade. The massive podium at the end overlooked the entire show, and that was where Coin stood along with the other important members of the rebellion, guards, officials, rebel leaders.