7. Blood, Sweat and unshed Tears

"Ladies and gentlemen! Let the 72nd hunger games begin!" The voice of Claudius Templesmith echoed through the arena.

24 pods surrounded the edge of an island. The cornucopia was in the middle, leaving a lot of distance from the pod. Water surrounded the island with a width of around a 100 feet. Beyond the water was a little more of grass and then began the lining of a huge forest.

So basically the tributes had two choices: either to run towards the cornucopia, or jump into the water and swim towards the forests.

I had to choose the former considering that I am part of the Career pack. But the water did look tempting, I'm not going to lie.

50, 49, 48, 47....

I looked at the cornucopia, searching for weapons. I spotted some daggers lined up on a board and some spears, stacked up against the walls of the horn-shaped structure. But I wanted a bow and an arrow, because it is much more accurate and easier to hit a moving object with.

25, 24, 23, 22, 21.....

I looked around at the other tributes and spotted Jared a few pods to my left. He looked back and gave me a nod before turning around and getting into position to run. I did the same as the countdown came close to an end.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, beep!

As soon as the beep was heard I took off towards the cornucopia, I heard quite a few splashes as tributes jumped into the water. I ran faster and reached the daggers section before grabbing a few and slid them into my belt. And then I spotted it, A bow and some arrows in a quiver, and as I went to reach for it, a strong pair of arms caught hold of my shoulder and pulled me into a hard chest. I grunted as the air was knocked out of my lungs. The boy, judging by the hands around my neck, held me in a deadlock as I was struggling for air.

I reached down to my belt and grabbed a dagger and with all my strength, I swung it hard, stabbing him in the leg.

He screamed loudly as his grip loosened around my neck. Then suddenly his weight was lifted off of me and I turned around to see Steph pulling him back and slitting his throat with a machete. Bang. A cannon was set off signalling the death of the boy from district 9.

I smiled with gratitude at her for saving my life, which she returned, before I flickered my eyes down to the dead body that laid limp on the ground and then to the dagger in my hand that was covered in his blood.

Bang.

I dropped the knife down, and picked up the quiver with arrows and swung it around my shoulder and grabbed the elegant looking silver bow.

Two more shots of the cannon were heard. Steph and I ran out of the cornucopia and saw the girl from district 6, using a knife to fight against Ashton, and she was winning. I shot an arrow at her leg and she screeched before falling down. Ashton finished her off by breaking her neck. Another blast of the cannon was heard.

I went towards the water, hearing a few more blasts along the way, and I caught sight of a girl with a backpack, swimming towards the forests.

"Shoot her!" Jared's loud voice boomed across the arena. I flinched and immediately shot the arrow in her direction and I closed my eyes.

All I could hear was the blast of the cannon which made my stomach drop in guilt.

I just killed a person.

I felt nauseous and resisted the urge to throw up. The feeling of killing someone was not a good one. And I didnt know how I'd ever get used to it if I won the games.
_________________________________________________