26. Running through the Jungle

We meandered uphill through the dense forest, Finnick was in the front and I followed close behind him. Beetee was struggling to climb the steep trail. The heavy coil that he carried, only weighed him down and yet, he refused our offers to carry it.

About an hour later, the anthem of Panem was played. We looked up at the sky as images of the fallen tributes were being displayed.

Cashmere, Gloss, Wiress, district 5 female, female morphling, Blight, Chaff.

I was surprised to know that Chaff was one of the fallen. That meant that only Brutus and Enobaria were left. We walked further into the woods until we stumbled into a clearing. A massively large tree stood in the centre, and the vines that hung from it were as big as a regular tree.

Beetee stared at the tree for many moments. "Minimal charring. It's an impressive conductor. Let's get started."

We walked up to the tree and started winding the wire around its massive trunk. We went round and round until it was entirely wrapped up. "Typically, a lightning strike contains five billion joules of energy."

"In other words, we're toast" I said.

"We don't want to be anywhere in the vicinity when it hits." He said with a smile. "You two girls, go together now." He walked towards Johanna and Katniss and handed the coil to the latter. "Take this. Unspool it carefully. Make sure the entire coil is in the water. You understand? Then head to the tree at the 2 o'clock sector. We'll meet you there."

"I'm gonna go with them as a guard." Peeta volunteered.

"No, no, no. You're staying here to protect me."

"No, I need to go with her." He protested.

"There are two careers out there and I need two guards. I want to have (Y/n) here to help me make sure that the wires aren't cut or tangled up."

"Finnick can protect you just fine on his own." He told with a pointed tone.

"Why can't Finnick and Johanna stay with you and Peeta and I'll take the coil?" Katniss supplied.

Finnick and I exchanged glances, knowing that Peeta and Katniss were trying to escape. Beetee walked up to Katniss and stated, "You all agreed to keep me alive till midnight, correct?"

"It's his plan, Katniss." I said. She looked at me with narrowed eyes. "We all agreed to it."

"Is there a problem here?" Finnick asked in a threateningly calm voice.

Katniss held a look of anger for a moment before she sighed in defeat. "No. There's no problem."
She placed a kiss on Peeta's lips before whispering to him, "I'll see you at midnight."

"Alright, let's go." Johanna said and began walking towards the beach. Albeit reluctantly, Katniss followed her.

The sky was dark now, and the clouds above were whirring, indicating that the lightning was going to strike soon.

"Hey Peeta!" I called out to the boy from 12, as soon as the girls were out of sight. He looked up and I waved him over to where I stood. "Do you trust me?" I whispered.

His eyebrows furrowed with confusion. "What do you mean?" At that moment the first sound of thunder rippled through the arena, and though it was faint, my heart started to beat faster knowing that the chaos was about to start.

I turned towards Finnick and tossed him one of my knives. Beetee held his hand out and with a nod, Finn made a cut across Beetee's arm and dug the knife into his skin. Beetee let out a grunt as blood flowed down his arm.