1. The Beginning

It started on the morning of the reaping for the 72nd Hunger Games

*

I woke up to the sight of the district covered in snow. It rarely snows in 4. The joy from the pleasant fall of the snowflakes and giggling children playing in it was disturbed by the thoughts of the games. Today was the reaping for the 72nd hunger games. It was my last year to be enrolled in the reaping list since my 18th birthday was last week. I kept fiddling with the pendant Newt had given to me 6 years ago. I got out of my bed and got ready for the day ahead.

I made my way to Newt's house and found Finnick and Annie cuddling on the couch. A small tinge of jealousy sparked in my heart at the love they had for eachother, for I wanted someone like that too. I walked into the kitchen to find Newt and Clara sitting on the counter and talking. I opened the fridge and grabbed a bar of chocolate. I took a bite and sighed with satisfaction at the divine taste.

"We have to be there at the district center in 15 minutes." I mumbled.

Newt came over to me, grabbed my bar and took a bite out of it before saying, "Then let's get going, shall we?"
____________________________________________________

We made our way to the district center and the three of them went up to the pavilion while I trudged over to the assembly area. A different capitol lady walked upto the stage and began the same ritual. I, as usual, tuned out. It had become the same routine every year.

Go to the district center, stand with the crowd, wait for the tributes to be picked, go back home.

The capitol lady went to the girls bowl first and picked up a chit. For the past 5 years, my name had not been picked. I didn't bother to even hear whose name was called. I was looking at the patterns on my shoes when suddenly someone nudged my arm. I looked up to see a girl looking at me with a sympathetic smile. I looked around and found everyone staring at me. I furrowed my eyebrows with confusion. I looked at Annie who was sobbing into Finnick's chest. He gave a tight lipped smile while hugging her. I looked at Newt to find his eyes filled with tears, and when he caught my eyes, he looked away. "What happened?" I mumbled out, getting very scared.

The girl next to me told, "Your name was called out."
Then, It hit me like a ton of bricks and my eyed widened.

I was a tribute for the games now.

I froze in my spot. A peacekeeper came up to me and told me to go to the stage. I took a step forward, my shaking legs. I felt the bile rise in my throat as I made my way on to the stage and stood there whilst shaking like a leaf. A million thoughts were running inside my head as I clutched the pendant Newt gave me.

"And now for the boys." The lady spoke into the mic and went towards the other bowl. I looked up to know who my district partner would be.

Whom I may kill or who may kill me.

She picked up a chit and read the name aloud. "Chad Wayne." I gave a small smile in relief. Chad was a strong built boy yet he had little to no brains. He was quite popular and thus got a lot of cheers as he made his way up the stage. We shook hands and the peacekeepers escorted us into the rooms.

I had been here 3 times before, but this time, in a total different position. This time I was the one everyone would say goodbye to. I sat on the couch and waited for my friends to come.

Five minutes later, the door bursted open and Annie ran in. She threw her arms around me and cried into my shoulder. Tears welled up in my eyes but I held them back. I needed to be strong. As she pulled away I saw Clara behind her. She gave a small smile and engulfed me in a warm hug. I looked for Finnick and Newt, but they were nowhere to be seen.