36. The Truth Untold

A week had gone by, Peeta was still held under restraints while Katniss and Johanna were healing from their wounds. Coin was working on a plan to get district 2 under control, which meant Newt had to work with Beetee for most of the day. Not wanting to be a constant third wheel to Finnick and Annie, I spent most of the time in the training room or sitting by Johanna's bed and talking to her, when she wasn't high on morphine.

"You sure you want to raise your dosage?" I asked her, watching as she turned the dial up.

"I'd rather escape reality than feel any sort of pain, emotional or physical." She chuckled.

"Coin's asked me to meet her, I'm gonna head up to her office. Will you be fine?"

"Quit babying me! I'm an adult now."

"An adult who has been through way too many horrifying situations than needed."

She simply shrugged in reply.

"Try not to drown someone." I said while getting up and walking towards the door.

"I'm not making any promises." She smirked. I chuckled while closing the door behind me.

***

I opened the door to Coin's office to find her and Katniss having a conversation.

"We can't get into the Capitol until we have control of district 2." Coin said.

"Then send me to 2." Katniss suggested, her voice sounded gravelly, still recovering from Peeta's attack. "Want me to fire up the troops? Call out to the loyalists? You've seen what I can do."

"Yes, I have." Coin nodded. She turned to face me and gave a brief smile. "(Y/n)! Just in time. What do you think about sending the team to district 2?"

My eyes widened with excitement but a tang of fear entered my mind at the thought of going to 2. Pushing it to the back of my mind, I said. "It would be a good idea."

"It's settled then." She concluded. "Inform Newt Cresta too. We could use his intelligence over there. I'll brief the entire team after lunch. You'll be leaving tomorrow at 18:00."

Nodding in reply, I turned around and walked out the door, Katniss following behind. "You okay now?" I asked her.

"I still feel like I gargled a bunch of nails, but doing much better than before, thanks."

"How is he... How is Peeta doing?" I inquired hesitantly.

"That isn't Peeta." She said immediately in a pointed tone but then sighed. "Today they sent Prim to talk to him, to remind him something from home. He recognized her. But... he told her that I was a mutt sent by the Capitol to destroy us all. Snow really has him messed up."

"I'm sure he'll come back to his normal self. It'll just take... some time."

We reached the dining room where lunch was currently being served. Finnick, Annie and Newt sat at a table and Gale sat a few rows over to their right.

"I'll see you at briefing, I guess." She said and we parted ways. Grabbing my tray, I plopped down next to Newt and told him about the plan to 2.

"I wish I could come too," Finnick said, looking at the both of us. "But I'd rather stay here with this angel." He said with a smile before kissing Annie's cheek, causing her to blush red, as bright as her hair. This seemed to amuse Finnick since he then turned her face and kissed her on the lips.

"Quit snogging my sister in public!" Newt snapped, causing all of us to laugh.

"We need to get going." I said standing up, shoving the last spoon of mashed potatoes in my mouth. Newt got up too, and the both of us made our way to the command room for briefing.