27. Red and Blue

"Time to get up, love." A voice cooed, waking me up from my short nap. My eyes fluttered open to find a pair of chocolate brown eyes looking into my own. Newt ran his fingers through my hair and smiled down at me.

I rubbed my eyes and slowly sat up, wincing as the entire left side of my body hurt. "Are we close to 13?"

"Yeah," He nodded. "We're gonna land in around 10 minutes."

"Alright." I groggily mumbled and limped over to the bathroom to freshen up.

After that, the both of us went to the hangar where the rest of them were sitting in their seats, strapped up and ready for landing. Newt and I quickly took our places, and within minutes, we could feel the descend down to the ground. Once the hovercraft came to a halt, the hatch opened and Plutarch was the first to get out and we all followed after him. I leaned onto Newt for support due to the ache that was constantly present in my body. Katniss and Beetee, who were still unconscious, were each carried in a stretcher by two rather bulky men.

I looked around the barren vast grassland, and remembered that district 13 was actually beneath the ground. "So how did this district end up relocating underground?" I questioned.

"District 13, as you know, was bombed to dust during the first rebellion." Plutarch explained. "But that's all a cover up. They had actually struck a secret deal with the Capitol and was allowed to secede from Panem. In return, they would withdraw all support for the rebels in the other districts and pretend to have been destroyed above ground. Not wanting to start a nuclear war, the Capitol reluctantly agreed. District 13 evacuated all of its forces and population to a series of underground bunkers while the Capitol obliterated the ground above."

"So 13 has been underground for over 75 years!? How did they survive that long?" I asked, my eyes wide due to the newfound information.

"It wasn't easy." He continued. "Apparently, they were in no position to take on the Capitol again until very recently. There was even a pox outbreak. Half the population was wiped out."

"Damn, must've been hard." Finnick mumbled.

"It was." A female voice said from behind us. I turned around to find a lady in her fifties, with greying shoulder length hair, and a small smile on her face. She was accompanied by a tall man, who had an air of military around him. "Welcome to district 13. I am president Alma Coin and this is Colonel Boggs, head of security." She said, a hint of urgency in her tone. "Unfortunately, we are in an immediate need to discuss pressing matters that have surfaced a few hours ago. So follow me."

She led us behind a rock structure, where two large metal gates closed off the inside world from the outside. Two soldiers stood guard in front of the gates, armed with massive guns. She nodded at them and they opened the doors to reveal a tunnel, lit up by bright lights. We walked down the length of the tunnel, and at the end of it was an elevator with caged walls, allowing us to see what was outside.

When we got into the elevator, my mouth dropped open at the magnificent view of the entire district. Around a hundred floors of brilliantly laid out architecture was home to so many people and everything was below the surface. I wondered how much hard work was put in, to build all this during the early days after their deal with the Capitol.

We went about 20 floors down when the elevator stopped. "Miss (l/n) and Mr. Odair, due to the trauma that you have suffered in the duration of your time spent in the arena, we are going to have to keep you hospitalized for a while. Just to make sure you're healthy and fit." President Coin said. "I'm sure you understand. Meanwhile, I need to speak with you both, Mr. Heavensbee and Mr. Cresta. It is an emergency."

"What emergency?" Finnick asked. "We need to know too."

"Mr. Cresta will fill you in later. For now you need some rest." She said. "Colonel Boggs will escort you to the hospital room."