23. It's All About Trust

"The baby bomb was good, but I don't think Snow will let the games get cancelled. Best of luck tributes. It's all in your hands now." Plutarch said, after going over all the details once more. "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you anything about the arena and how it works. If Snow even has the slightest idea that you know your way around the games, then the whole plan will go down the drain. Be prepared for the worst."

"What about food and water? Will it be easy to find?" I asked.

"Always thinking about food." Newt muttered, loud enough only for Finnick and I to hear. Finn chuckled and I turned around to swat Newt's arm, causing Newt to let out a laugh.

"I'm sure your sponsors and mentors will take care of that if you don't find it in time." Plutarch said with a smile. "Anyway, hope you get some good rest tonight. Trust me, you'll need it." With that, he left the room, leaving a buzz of conversations to sprout amongst those who were present.

"I'm pretty sure Katniss will kill me as soon as she gets her hand on a bow and arrow." Finnick said, a small frown tugging at his lips.

"Well, ask Haymitch to do something about that." Johanna said, munching on some snacks that Plutarch left for us.

"Hey Abernathy!" Finn called out. Haymitch turned his head around and flashed a creepy grin, before making his way over to us.

"How may I be of service to the Finnick Odair?" He finished with a mock bow.

Finn rolled his eyes before saying, "Katniss doesn't trust me, what should we do about that?"

"That is a problem isn't it?" Haymitch said with a frown. "How about...." He looked around the room as though searching for something when suddenly he held his wrist up and exclaimed. "AHA! Show her this." He pulled out a gold bracelet, designed like dancing flames, and handed it over to Finnick.
"Show her this and she'll know you are a person I trust. Just.. don't tell her how you got it. Ooooh and if you try and save lover boy at any point, she will definitely trust you."

"Alright." Finnick said with a sigh, before slipping the bracelet onto his wrist.

"Try not to get on her nerves, she is the... cranky kind." He said with a wink. He bid us adieu and walked away.

"Now what?" Finnick asked with an exhausted tone.

"Get some sleep I guess." Newt said, shrugging. "Probably the last good sleep you'll get for a while."

"You're right, let's go then."

We stood up from the comfortable couches and walked towards the elevator. Johanna and her district partner, Blight, along with their mentor got off on the 7th floor while we made our way to the 4th floor.

Dylan and Nat were sitting on the couch, across from eachother drinking a glass of champagne. "You're back!" Dylan said as we all plopped down on the couch, tired. "Looks like you all need a glass." He chuckled.

Once we all had a glass in our hand, Nat raised hers and said, "To the hope that everything goes well, and we all will be together at the end of this mess."

We raised our glasses before drinking its content. Nat continued in a shaky voice, "This is a goodbye, isn't it?"

"For now. The next time we see eachother, we will be in district 13, where we will be safe. Don't worry Nat, it's gonna be fine." I said, a reassuring smile on my face.

"I hope so." She said, hastily wiping her eyes.

"Alright I'm going to sign off. Good night." Finnick said and stood up, before giving each of us a hug. "I'll see you on the other side I guess." He chuckled lightly.