6. Hot Chocolates and Arenas

The full moon glowed bright through the tribute quarters' window, lighting my room up in a pale, blue light.

It was around 2 in the morning and I still couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned throughout the night and felt really uneasy. It felt like the collar of my shirt was choking me, like I was drowning in my own sweat, but somehow I also felt numb. Like there was nothing going to happen and after this uncomfortable night, everything would be fine. Even though I knew I would go up into the arena today. It was a feeling I couldn't explain, and I knew for sure that I didn't like it.

I thought about my strategy for tomorrow. Even though I didn't like the concept of killing, I had to, if I wanted to survive. I needed to take lives of others in order to live a peaceful one for myself after that. The guilt I would feel would be tremendous, but I must live with it. And that is life in this stupid world.

I finally got out of bed and wore one of those silky robes they gave here at the Capitol and made my way out of my room. Newt's room was across mine, so I walked across and slowly opened his door. He laid there peacefully on his bed, in a deep slumber, his features so calm and in bliss. Deciding not to wake him up I closed the door as silently as I could and turned around, before I bumped into someone.

I almost screamed but the person clamped their hand on my mouth and gestured me to keep quite. Relief flooded me as I found out that it was Dylan.

"You almost gave me a heart attack you nasty dimwit!" I whisper- yelled at him.

He gave a chuckle and said, "Not getting any sleep?" I shook my head and gave a small shrug.

"C'mon, let's talk a little over some hot chocolate." My mood immediately lit up at the mention of chocolate.

"Where do we get one at this hour?" I enquired. "Wouldn't everyone be asleep?"

He gave me a blank look. I raised an eyebrow, still confused as to what obvious thing I was missing. "You seriously didn't know that you could order anything from your own room by just pressing a button and it will be there in front of you within seconds or are you just playing dumb?" He asked.

My eyes widened and I almost yelled, "We can order anything?! Why did no ever tell me this before!?"

"Keep your voice down, you're going to wake everyone up!" Dylan said with a laugh and I gave a sheepish smile.

I followed him into my room, amd he went beside my bed and pulled out a small remote kinda thingie from the side of the cot. He pressed a black button and said, "Two hot chocolates", into the remote.

"If I knew about this before, I would have drowned myself in all the sweets I could get!" I exclaimed.

"Well if you win, I'm pretty sure you can do all that even at your house." He said. Right the next second, two steaming hot cups emerged from a compartment from the bedside table. He picked them up and gave one to me. We both went to the large bay windows and sat down on the cushion.

"What are you feeling right now?" He asked.

"Dunno, feels weird, but somehow I'm not terrified or nervous."

We sipped our hot chocolate in a comfortable silence when suddenly I remembered about his little incident with Chad's stylist.

"Oi, care to explain what's going on with you and Maryanne?" I asked while smirking.

He looked at me before sighing and said, "There is no point in lying so let me just say the truth. This isn't the first time we have worked for the same district. In fact we have worked together for the last 5 years. And I like her, and a few days ago she told me that she does too, but with everything going on in the Capitol, we both knew it wouldn't work out."