32. Who has the Power?

This chapter is dedicated to the extremely talented AnnuCJ. Go check out her work and show her some love!
*******************************************************

I fell onto the ground and dodged another one of Finnick's swing with his trident. I lifted my spear just in time to block the weapon from impaling me, the metal on metal, making a screeching sound which rang through the training room. With a smirk, Finnick lent a hand and helped me up.

"Not bad. You're improving, Odair. Slowly, but surely." I grinned.

"Oh please." He rolled his eyes. "I have always taken you down before and I always will. I'm invincible."

I let out a snort, the smile remaining intact on my face. Grabbing a towel, I wiped the sweat off my face and turned around to face Finnick.

I let out a yelp and shut my eyes close immediately, desperately trying to erase the shirtless image of Finnick from my head. His laughter boomed across the room.

"Put on a shirt, you buffoon!"

"Why? Am I too distracting?" He asked. I grabbed the nearest object I could find with my eyes closed, which happened to be a bottle of water, before launching it in his general direction with as much force I could muster. He caught it effortlessly whilst chuckling. "Calm down, (Y/n). It's not like you haven't seen me without a shirt before."

"That may be correct," I said, opening my eyes to find him wearing a tank top. "But I'd rather not mentally scar myself further with all the ugliness."

"Ugliness? I'm Panem's heartthrob." Unfortunately, that was true. Even growing up, Finnick's looks and charm always managed to get the girls flocking towards him. And after he won the games, the small group of teenagers turned into a huge swarm of Capitol snobs. Old and young, men and women.

After taking a long gulp from the water bottle, Finnick wiped his mouth before saying, "Newt's been working with Beetee all day long, and we've got a few more hours to kill before dinner. What do you want to do now?"

"Honestly? I want to swim." I sighed. Finnick gave a sad smile and I knew that even he too, missed the feeling of the coolness of the water through our hair as we swam till our limbs got tired or our stomachs rumbled from hunger due to all the energy spent.

"I think I can help you with that." A voice echoed from the door. We looked towards the source to see Katniss standing there along with Gale. "Coin gave us clearance to hunt, and we found a river nearby. Maybe she will let you go for a swim."

My eyes lit up with excitement. "We'll go ask her right now. C'mon Finn, put on your best puppy face."

Finnick let out a chuckle. "Exactly where is the river?" He asked the pair.

"Once you're out of the gates, head west for a mile. You'll stumble upon a ruined, old stone building. The river is just beyond that." Gale replied.

"Thanks mate." We collected our items before heading to our respective rooms. Once dressed back into our jumpsuits, we made our way to Coin's office. Newt and Beetee were there and they were explaining some sort of plan to Coin, using various complicated holograms. Once they were done, I knocked on the door to gain their attention. I smiled in greeting befor stepping in, Finnick following behind.

"President Coin, Finnick and I were wondering if we could head up to the nearby river for a swim. Can we go?"

She eyed me for a moment before nodding once. "Be careful. And meet me after dinner, I've got to discuss some plans with you, miss (l/n)."