17. Mentoring? Bad idea. Nightlocks? Worse

*2 years later*

"(Y/N)! GET YOUR BUTT DOWN HERE!"

"Leave me alone" I grumble, wanting to fall back asleep. I heard footsteps thud up the stairs and my bedroom door click open. "What do you want, Newt?"

I heard him chuckle before he plopped down on the bed beside me. "It's not what I want, it is was the Capitol wants"

I lift my head up and look at him before saying in a sickly sweet voice, "And what does the Capitol want?"

"For you to mentor the tributes." He shrugged.

"No."

"Please, (Y/n)."

"No."

"It's your turn! Last time I mentored the tributes!"

"And they died" I snorted. He gave a blank look. "Why cant Finnick do it?" I whined.

"Because he already has enough on his mind right now."

"What about Mags?" I question.

"Do you seriously want to give so much trouble to such a sweet old lady?"

"Are you talking about yourself, Newt?" I grin.

He had a look of disbelief on his face. "Excuse me?For a fact, this," he gestured to his entire body, "-is NOT an old lady, it is anything but an old lady."

I chuckle, "Whatever makes you sleep at night."

He smirks before lowering his voice, "You perfectly know well what makes you sleep at night."

My cheeks turned red as I blushed very hard. "Shut up, you nasty boy." I threw my pillow at him and he laughed at my embarrassment.

"Okay but seriously, will you become the mentor for this year?" He asked.

"Ugh fine. But you better be there in the Capitol with me. I dont want to bump into Snow by accident and have to deal with him alone"

"Deal."
_________________________________________

"I'm such a horrible mentor" I murmur, my head in my hands. Newt rubs my lower back in a soothing manner, trying to comfort me. Trying being the key word.

"It's not your fault." He says in a low voice.

"Of course it is! I'm the bleedin' mentor and I let the tributes die! On the first day!" I exclaimed. Newt let out a sigh. "They should've ran for the trees."

"But they were supposed to be with the careers.."

"Well the bloody careers killed them!" I snapped. "That Cato guy from 2.... along with his district partner.. Clo-" I cut myself off, my eyes widened with realization. "Stephanie's sister" I whispered.

"What?" Newt asked, eyes filled with confusion.

"Stephanie told me her sister's name was Clove... she is in the games this year!" I said. "What do you think I should do? Should I help her? For Steph?"

"I dunno (Y/n)... she isn't from our district. People back home would be furious that we let our tributes die and save another district's." He said. I frowned, torn between helping her and actually listening to Newt. "Love? C'mon, let's get out of here."

I nodded and stood up. "Can I just see Clove for one last time?"

"Sure." We made our way to the big hall where they broadcasted the games. It was night time and the careers were near the cornucopia by the lake. A girl, looking very much like Stephanie was sharpening her dagger, a grin on her face.