42. Change My Mind

Two weeks had passed.

I was still trapped in the hospital bed, my only source of entertainment was in the form of Newt Cresta, who was currently laying beside me as we cuddled. And kissed. A lot of kissing was involved. Something the doctors wouldn't appreciate because I was still recovering. Hey, we were done with fighting, might as well get on with our lives.

He updated me about everything going around, how Coin was in charge temporarily, with the Capitol officials being held captive. A lot of them were sent to prison, left to wait for their fate while the politics of who should make decisions went on.

Things had changed, for both better and worse. The peacekeepers and Capitol workers had surrendered, mainly because everyone, including most of the rebels, thought that it was on Snow's orders that the bombs were released. Only a handful knew the actual truth and it had to be kept a secret, at least for now, until everything settled down.

Cressida and Pollux were recovering well from their wounds but coping with the loss of their loved ones was proving to be hard. I had a vague idea of how much pain Pollux was going through since he lost his brother.

Finnick did not end up needing an amputation, but his doctor had broken the news that gaining mobility back in the leg would be a hard and long process. With a few broken bones and fractured ribs, he still had a few surgeries lined up to make sure that in the coming days, he wouldn't face any threatening issues. For now and the near future, he was to be confined to a wheelchair.

At least it was better than being left dead with half a dozen throat ripping, head decapitating, lizard mutts.

The explosions at the Capitol gates, however, brought the worst news. Katniss and Gale were right there when it happened, the former being severely injured and suffering a lot of burns after the second wave of bombs were dropped. The evil plan led to the loss of many lives, including that of Primrose Everdeen.

Prim. A young girl with doe eyes that held so many responsibilities which shouldn't have been forced upon her at her age. She had witnessed things no child should have ever encountered, been through situations meant to be handled by adults. And for being someone that was gifted with the skill to heal others, she paid the price with her life.

Not everyone can be saved, it's the war after all. No matter who the innocent soul was, whether good or bad, blood was inevitable to spill on the battlefield. Even if it could have been avoided.

And now as Newt and I laid beside each other on the semi-comfortable hospital bed, I was glad and grateful that he wasn't one of those lives lost, despite how selfish that sounded.

I had my head resting on his chest and felt him take calm and peaceful breaths, lulling me into a sense of comfort in the cold weather outside. He talked about how it was snowing at the most random moments and within hours the sun melted away the evidence. Hearing his voice kept me to the ground rather than being pulled into the oblivion of despair and darkness. His hands were intertwined with mine as he kissed the top of my head, smiling every time he did so.

I snuggled into his neck and pressed a kiss there, only for him to squirm away, letting out the smallest of giggles. "Stop that!" He exclaimed. "It tickles!" Which only prompted me to continue doing it, for the sole purpose of seeing and hearing him laugh.

And we passed our time by simply enjoying each other's presence, burying away any pain that the fight had left behind.

"They've allotted us rooms in the president's mansion for now. That place is huge. Although I would love to give you a tour, there's a better person I know who will do that."