21. Spotlights have Consequences

"Where do we start?" Finnick asked as soon as we stepped into the training centre. We were the first ones there, so we had the entire room to ourselves.

"I need to practice my aim. I'll get a bow and quiver, you can do play with the tridents." I replied.

"Let's make it more interesting." He went over to the edible plants section and picked up a fruit which was the size of an apple. Smirking at what he was planning on doing, I grabbed a basket full of those fruits and the two of us made our way to the weaponry section. "I'm throwing first." He said.

"Fine." I stood in front of a big target and placed the fruit on top my head. "You know it is against the rules for a tribute to kill another tribute before the actual games?" I said.

"I'll try not to." He smirked. He grabbed a spear and stood around 20 feet in front of me. "Ready?" He asked and I squeezed my eyes shut and nodded. He threw the spear and it narrowly missed the top of my head, hitting the fruit at the bottom. My eyes widened at how close the spear was to my head.
Finnick was grinning and I narrowed my eyes at him as the juice from the fruit dripped down my head.

"You won't be grinning soon, Finny boy. Your turn. Grab a fruit." He took one and placed it on his head before standing in front of the target, his spear now lying on the ground. I grabbed a few daggers and took my stance. I aimed for the fruit and released the weapon. It missed the top of the fruit by just a few centimetres. I groaned in frustration and Finnick started to laugh.

"You missed! Boohoo! Wh-What are you doing? (Y/N)!! STOP!!" He had lifted his hand to grab the fruit, but at that moment I took aim and let the dagger fly. It hit the fruit when it was in his hand, causing it to splatter everywhere, including on his face. The dagger hit the target right beside his neck. A few inches towards the left and he would be dead.

I smirked with victory and gave a little bow. Wiping the fruit off of his face, Finnick looked at me with annoyance. We both then started to actually practice our aims without putting eachother's heads on the line. The doors opened and the other tributes came in. The careers immediately began showing off their combat skills while the morphlings were busy in the camouflage section. Then Katniss and Peeta entered the room and began to take in their surroundings. I nudged Finnick and nodded towards the two. He gave a smirk and threw a trident at the target with so much force that it pierced through it.

I walked around the room, bored. Wanting to do something fun, I grabbed a small block of wood and sat down on the floor. I took my dagger out and began to carve a fish hook. I looked up to see Finnick talking to Katniss. He knotted a noose and put it around his neck and pretended to hang himself. Everdeen's face remained unamused.

Letting out a scoff at Finn's stupid behaviour, I began weaving the hook with some thread. I smiled, thinking about the time when Mags, one of the sweetest people I had ever met in my life, taught me how to make a fish hook and how to decorate it, as a bait for the fish.

A while after intricate weaving, I felt someone was watching me. Looking up, I saw Katniss Everdeen standing there with a small smile. "That's beautiful." She said and I smiled. "I saw you volunteer for that young girl. It was really brave."

"I had to. She means a lot to me. Besides, you volunteer for your sister. What is her name?" I asked.

"Prim." She replied in a soft voice. "If you could uh, teach me how to make a fish hook like that I could teach you how to hunt."

"I know a little hunting myself." I shrugged. "But I do want to see the girl on fire use a bow and arrow." I said, a smile playing on my lips.

"Okay." She said. The both of us went to a small chamber where we had to defend ourselves from holograms that attacked us. "Here I go." She said and stepped into the chamber. A lot of the other tributes had gathered around as Katniss breezed through the course. Wiress started clapping enthusiastically as soon as Katniss finished. "Nice job!" I said when she came out.