Chapter 67 : The Angel in my Dream

M A X E N E

Matapos ang naging pag-uusap ng pamilya namin, niyaya ako ni Pierre lumabas, nakita ko naman na parang ikinatuwa iyon ni Senator dahil sa siya ang nag first move sa aming dalawa.

Nag-excuse muna ako para mag-ayos saglit sa washroom at sinamahan naman ako ni Mom, pero bakas pa rin sa kanya ang matinding pag-aalala.

"Are you really sure that you'll do this?" she asks for the nth time, "I can talk things out with Franco habang wala pang prenup."

I smiled, "Don't worry Mom, kaibigan ko naman po si Pierre, I'm sure magkakasundo naman po kami."

"But that's not the point here, you've been a lot the past months after-"

"This is different Mom," I reminded her, "Don't worry."

"How can't I," she cups my face, "Because of our incompetence we put you in this situation." She's blaming herself again, "I wasn't paying much attention enough with the status of the company, with your Dad's work. Everything. This is all my fault."

I gave her a hug comforting her.

"But then, I'm thankful Mom." I tell her as she pulls herself away looking at me with uncertainty, "Because even if you say that you're not paying attention enough, with everything else, you were there for us. For Maxwell, for Trix and for me."

"Anong sinasabi mo, madami nga akong pagkukulang sa inyo," her voice is modest, "Lalong, lalo na sa iyo, anak."

"True." I agreed, "Masama pa rin po ang loob ko sa inyo matapos ng mangyari sa anak ko." She gulped with guilt in her eyes and looks away. "But being a mother is one hell of a job, right Mom?"

"Maxene..." Mom's voice is melancholic.

"For three months, I had Hope, everyday that alone gives me a tough decision, whether I'll continue or abort the baby," I look at her, "But every time I think of aborting the baby, I remember you when you had me, Mom."

Mom cried a tear for me.

"I can't blame you if you hated the idea of me carrying my baby for three months. I can't blame you if you're mad because I decided to keep it from you, that's just a natural reaction, because you're my Mom and you just wanted what's best for me." She bit her lip and forced herself to smile.

"I know that I was selfish for ignoring your advice for a very long time. Masyado po akong nagmamarunong, masyado akong nag matigas, and in the end, I just ended up disappointing you. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for hurting you without even realizing it, Mom."

She shakes her head hushing me, "I'm not disappointed at you Maxene, I was scared for you. I'm scared to lose you, your doctor said the risks and I can't accept that you're taking a chance in exchange of an innocent life." She caressed my cheek, "But I'm proud of you. I'm so proud of you." She repeated those words comforting me.

"I wish I could turn back time, para nabigyan man lang natin ng maayos na libingan si Hope, I'm really sorry for what happened and I'm sorry if I failed as a mother to you. I'm sorry for not being able to give you the support you need when you need me the most."

This time I'm the one who is shaking my head in front of her, "You did your best Mom. It's tough, but this time, I'll do what's best for us, I'll do what's best for me." I say and I embrace her again. "Trust me, Mom."

"I will, and this time if anything happens, I'm here, don't forget that." She reminded me as she kissed my temple holding a promise to me.

Inayos ko ang sarili ko bago pa mapansin ng mga tao sa paligid na ka iiyak ko lang at ganun din si Mom.