Chapter 2 : Again, I Died

M A X E N E

"So I heard that you and your boyfriend finally broke up." My mother is drinking her tea as always. We're in the mansion and I'm glad that she's not here yesterday, baka mas bungangaan niya lang ako kung nagkataon.

I sighed weakly, "Well, you got what you wanted Mom." I couldn't help but speak with a little sarcasm in my voice as she met my eyes. Since she found out that I'm going out with a guy who is less fortunate than me, kaagad naman niya itong kinontra mula umpisa pa lang. Kesho raw in the long run pera lang ang habol sa akin ng boyfriend ko, o para mabilis na umangat ang social status niya kaya siya nakipagrelasyon sa akin. I don't know what else she has to say, but she got what she wanted. Kenzo left me for good.

"I didn't want this to happen to you Maxene," mom answered as refined as she could be, "I just told you what you need to know. Boys like that are just up for your pretty face, money, and pride. I just let you explore for a while, since you wanted a little freedom of your own, right?" a thin line forms at her lips as she wipes it with a napkin, "What was that you told me," she pauses, "Ah, that you're not a child anymore." I look away from her cold stare, "But then look at you, broken from that boy who gives you nothing." hindi totoo iyon. Mahal ako ni Kenzo, pinatunayan niya iyon sa akin. The three years we have, it was real. "Kulang na lang ibuhos mo ang lahat sa kanya, but then where did it got you?" parang sampal sa akin ang mga salitang binibitawan ni mommy, "You once told me that his intentions were true, but why did he choose to leave you?" malamig niyang tanong sa akin na dahilan kung bakit mas pinili ko na lang kagatin ang ibabang labi ko para hindi makapagbitaw ng hindi kaaya ayang mga salita, "Maxene, the world isn't a fairytale. He's not some commoner who could wish for a genie to marry a princess."

"He loves me, Mom," my voice almost broke, "He promised me..."

"But then he broke it, right?" she planted a kiss on my forehead, "Dear daughter, if you think I'm overbearing, that's just because I'm protecting you." hindi ko alam kung paano tutugunan ang mga sinasabi sa akin ni mommy. Dahil miski ako hindi pa rin ako naniniwala na basta basta na lang akong iiwan ni Kenzo ng ganoon. May dahilan siya. I know him.

Maybe I'll use this second chance of my life to look for acceptable answers to why he chose to leave me.

"Now, will you now accept my plans for you, Anak?" mom asks, pulling me back to my reality.

"Can I still say no?" I asked her and immediately a small smile formed on her face.

"Have you thought about considering it?" she asked again, I think what she wants to hear from me is the word 'yes Mom' tulad ng nakagawian, "Why even doubt, I perfectly find some few good men for you."

"You mean, bugaw Mom." again, hindi ko mapigilan maging sarcastic at matipid siyang natawa sa nasabi ko.

"If this is called bugaw Maxene, you wouldn't be here," Mom started, "Like you, I also have dreams of my own, but I was engaged at a very young age." I hate this story. "You weren't planned, but you're here. You're alive," mom added, "Kung hindi dahil sa'yo anak, malamang I'm a successful model or actress." napapikit na lang ako sa sentimiyento ni mommy, bakit ba hindi pa ako nasanay? She's pouring all her frustrations at me. At dahil hindi naman talaga ako planado mabuo noon, lahat ng pangarap niya bago magkaanak, naudlot. All because of me and my damn existence.

"Do I really have to shoulder this Mom?" I asked her, almost pleading with her that she won't push me to do this.

But her answer still remains the same, "You have to Maxene, you're a Campbell, you take pride in your family's name. You're an heiress and as my eldest daughter, soon you'll take over our family's business. Be a role model for Maxwell and Beatrix." Business na lang lagi, bakit kasi hindi na lang kami malugi? She called Joanne; her right hand and ordered her to give her the files she needed to show me, "In these envelopes are the potential prospects for your future fiance, I let Joanne do all the research. They all came from wealthy and respectable families in the country," I see five folders on top of the table, "You can choose one Maxene." inilahad ni mommy ang kamay niya na para akong namimili ng damit na babagay sa akin.