Forty Five

I've unsuccessfully watched my locker this morning, but even though some people came close, it was just to take a look at my damn note taped to it. I yawn, sitting beside Jackson in Geometry, opening my notebook and resting my head on top of it.

"I am so tired," I say into my arms. I had to do a ton of homework yesterday because I didn't do any last week from worrying about The Fucker.

"Spencer, don't sleep, please," the teacher says and it takes me a lot of effort to raise my head. "Thank you."

Jackson muffles a chuckle under his hand and I kick him under the table for it. The emotional exhaustion is taking its toll on me, together with the unsettling uncertainty of my nemesis actions.

"Did you check your locker today?" He whispers and I shake my head.

"Nope, I just watched it until I had to run here," I say.

Honestly, I'm glad Mr. Fisher didn't catch me and gave me another detention.

The day goes by uneventfully but with plenty of stress. Everyone seemed to have some story to share of their time at Kim's party. As I had a hard time keeping myself from sleeping, I tuned into their conversations, hoping to find them entertaining enough to keep me awake.

"Kim was so pissed when she found the coke," a girl says beside me. Why would she be pissed about a soda?

"Did she discover who brought it?" Jill asks.

"No, no. No one said a thing. But it was a party killer."

Oh.

"Silence, girls, please," Diana says, frowning a little towards us.

I'm glad we left before all that happened, but I can't believe someone actually brought drugs. Is that what I've been missing those four years of parties? But at least Kim found it, not her parents, I guess. 

I leave quickly as the bell rings, unchaining Josephine and riding straight to the café. I know Jackson will meet me there, and I hope Rory didn't get a detention today, 

I chain my bike and enter the café. Each time I step inside feels like I've just escaped hell as I feel the air conditioning keeping the room cool. Jackson enters a couple of minutes later, sitting across from me in the booth.

I yawn, letting my head fall once again to the table in exhaustion. "What if they don't send me an email, Jackson?" I whine. He pats my back.

"Have faith in the universe, little Spencer," Diego pippes in, putting a glass of water for each of us on the table. "Everything is random, but sometimes they are precisely the random you needed them to be."

"Why do you sound like an old monk?" I ask, smiling a little.

"Who says I'm not an old monk? You don't know how old I am," he gives me that cryptic smile before turning on his heels and walking to the counter, making me doubt completely my last hunch he was around Diana's age.

Jackson sighs dreamingly, "so handsome and so weird..."

"Exactly your type," I tease and he kicks my feet under the table with a grin. I frown a little, finally mentioning the thing I hadn't been able to get out of my head since I heard about it, "have you heard about the coke at Kim's?"

"Of course I have," his eyes shine like they do every time he has 'news' to tell me. "But I heard that someone used pills in her younger brother's room, not coke."

Wait a second. 

It can't be.

"And which door was that?" I ask, silently hoping I'm wrong.