Thirteen

I sat in Diana's classroom in my usual seat in the back. It was her test day and also homecoming night so I was kinda nervous.

"You'll be taking your tests today, so please put everything away but your pencil and eraser," she walks around, handing out the tests.

Diana gives me my sheet, letting her hand touch my arm before smiling at me and turning away. Her touch makes me warm and I watch her as she sits on her desk and gets another pile of paper and starts grading them, probably.

So much grading.

I turn my attention to my test and start writing.

Sometimes I'd look up to think. Look around at the faces of desperation of my classmates or at Diana. Once or twice she looked away before our eyes made contact, but another time she let our eyes meet and gave me a smile.

My heart did a thing in my chest and I focused back on my test.

I finish my test and lean back on my seat, looking at my peers as they take their tests. Then I look at the ceiling, noticing the spiderwebs on the corner, more or less above me.

I hope there's no spider living there.

It's taking too long for someone else to finish so I gather courage and stand up. I walk to Diana's desk and put my test in the tray she had there, making her look up and smile at me.

"You're fast, Spencer. Was it easy?"

"No, ma'am," does it sound like I knew nothing and just put whatever? "I mean, it was okay, miss Abrams."

She lifts a hand to cover her smile and I roll my eyes before walking back to my seat.

Stupid me.

_____

"Tell me again, why do you have so many suits?"

Jackson rolls his eyes, looking through his wardrobe, "for when I have to help mom photograph formal events. Like weddings."

"You sure went to a lot of weddings," he glares at me over his shoulder.

"I think this one will fit you," he says, taking a pair of black slacks and holding them up. They look roughly the size of my jeans. "It's from my sophomore year when we were the same height."

"Good times."

"And I've been thinking about this since the beginning of the year, I think you'd look really good with a vest, but I don't know if I like no tie, bow tie or skinny tie better."

"The beginning of the year? I've agreed to come on Monday!"

"I knew I'd convince you. Now focus on the ties."

I roll my eyes. Jackson is already half-way in his suit, which means he's in his grey pants and his white shirt. Looking fancy.

Meanwhile, I'm with a towel wrapped around my hair and in sweatpants, thinking this is a really bad idea.

"I don't know anything about this," I bite the inside of my cheek. Jackson looks at his watch then back at me.

"Look, go put on the pants and the socks, I'll find something for you. And mom will do your makeup."

"Okay."

I leave for the bathroom and change into the pants and they actually fit me well. Now Jackson is taller and buffer, but I guess two years ago we had almost the same body shape.

"Put the shirt on and go to mom, I want the final product to be a surprise for her," he smiles at me and I roll my eyes, but I obey.

I put on some light make up and Andrea helps me with my hair. She brushes it and leaves the tips curled, telling me how pretty I look. I go back to Jackson and he's sitting on his computer chair, suit on and jacket behind him.