Twenty One

I have to run downstairs to my bike again. I'm putting my jacket on as I walk to it, the cold wind making me shiver. I unchain Josephine and speed down the street, hoping I'll make it to the first period.

I think it's the stress that's making me more tired. I need to find another place that I can work after school and before going to the store, but no once called about the tutoring or the babysitting thing, so I'm not sure what's gonna happen.

And I think me and Diana just almost had a moment at the café on Thursday. Or was I seeing things? Letting my hopes trick me.

I chain my bicycle and walk inside, rushing to my class. I try to subtly check for any signs of smelling bad, but I can't focus as I run.

"Are you training for a race?" Jackson says under his breath. I sit at the same time the bell rings, so I shrug.

"Maybe I'm just practicing so I don't die every P.E. class," I say grumpily, opening my backpack and taking my Geometry notebook. Jackson shakes his head.

"You should just put more alarms," he says and I roll my eyes. My sleepy body will just ignore or turn them off.

"Maybe I should just sleep in school, this way I will never be late," I say with a yawn and he chuckles.

We keep in silence after that, copying and solving the problems. My mind feels a bit foggy and I put my head in my hands, staring down at the pages. I'm tired and I could take a nap.

I'm still thinking of the nap I need when we're playing soccer in P.E. I think this is worse than basketball. At least I had the height for basketball, here I can do nothing but make a fool out of myself.

I'm so glad Diana is not the P.E. teacher. I can picture her face, her shining eyes while she tries to hide a smile.

"What the hell? I've never seen you smile in P.E." Thomas says beside me and I look at him.. We're waiting for our team to enter the court again, which is a blessing so I can catch my breath. "Are you okay?"

I chuckle, glad my face is probably red from running so he won't notice if I blush. "Yeah, I just... thought of something funny."

"Right," he says, totally unconvinced. I hate being a bad liar sometimes. "I think I've only heard you laugh that time in basketball."

"Yeah, sometimes I do that when I'm nervous," I shrug and he chuckles. I wish he would stop talking to me, I'm not really in the mood.

"That's weird. So you laugh when we have to do presentations?"

"No, it's more when it's something unexpected. Like me catching that ball."

"Blue team, back to court!" Mrs. Smith says and I groan as we all prepare ourselves to play.

Do I find it suspicious that I haven't encountered Amelie in a few weeks? Yes. But who am I to complain? I'm so stressed these days I really don't need her to talk to me and torment me more.

I shower and walk up back to school, feeling the wind getting even colder and sweeping up some yellow leaves. I walk upstairs to our place by the art room and sit on the ground, waiting for Jackson.

I kill time replaying Thursday at the café with Diana. How I held her arm, her soft skin under my fingertips, my thumb sweeping over her wrist. Her pink cheeks from the cold outside, her bright light brown eyes and her golden hair.

I wonder what she wanted to say to me.

"Man, I'm so tired. Thank God we only have four weeks until it's Christmas break," Jackson says. We're eating Thanksgiving leftovers, and they're so good. His mom even gave us a piece of pumpkin pie. "but now we're gonna have a lot of tests."